Microsoft Ships Big Update To Their CBL-Mariner 2.0 Linux Distribution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Ships Big Update To Their CBL-Mariner 2.0 Linux Distribution

Phoronix: Microsoft Ships Big Update To Their CBL-Mariner 2.0 Linux Distribution

Last month Microsoft published their first production release of CBL-Mariner 2.0 as an updated version of their in-house Linux distribution used for a variety of purposes from Windows Subsystem for Linux to Azure. This week Microsoft released a rather hefty stable update to their CBL-Mariner 2.0 distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

'Windows Subsystem for Linux' doesn't make sense. 'Linux Subsystem on/for Windows' makes sense. Sigh...

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
      'Windows Subsystem for Linux' doesn't make sense. 'Linux Subsystem on/for Windows' makes sense. Sigh...
      can't do it due to trademark

Comment

Originally posted by luno View Post
        can't do it due to trademark
        Oh, lawyers are involved. Then it probably isn't going to make sense. I see.

Comment

I know right...

Windows' Subsystem for Linux Applications

Now it makes sense. The Subsystem for running Linux applications which is part of Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I know right...

Windows' Subsystem for Linux Applications

Now it makes sense. The Subsystem for running Linux applications which is part of Windows.
            Then it should be called Windows Subsystem for Linux Applications. If you ask a random person who doesn't know the details, I bet than in 100% of the cases they will understand that "Windows Subsystem for Linux" is a subsystem that allows Linux to support Windows compatibility (i.e. Wine).

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Then it should be called Windows Subsystem for Linux Applications. If you ask a random person who doesn't know the details, I bet than in 100% of the cases they will understand that "Windows Subsystem for Linux" is a subsystem that allows Linux to support Windows compatibility (i.e. Wine).
              Totally agree. The only problem is that it will take a thousand petitions before Microsoft finally changes the name....

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Totally agree. The only problem is that it will take a thousand petitions before Microsoft finally changes the name....
                That few?

Usually it takes a billion dollar fine to get Microsoft to pay attention...

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

When I first learned about "Windows Services for UNIX" my first reaction was something like "What is it? Some sort of Windows compatibility layer for Unix?".

Comment

Agreed; I think it's supposed to be read something like "Windows Subsystem for [doing] Linux[y things]." Your "Linux subsystem on Windows" makes perfect sense.

Comment

Working...
                    X