Ubuntu 22.10 Looking At Replacing WPA With IWD For Linux Wireless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    WTF, has Canonical started to listen to feedback?
    First Pipewire and now IWD.
    Don't jinx it, next thing you know they'll replace them with CWD (Canonical Wireless Daemon) and Snapwire resp.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Don't jinx it, next thing you know they'll replace them with CWD (Canonical Wireless Daemon) and Snapwire resp.
      No no. It's UWD (Unity Wireless Daemon, with convergence) and Mirwire.

Comment

Originally posted by kef71 View Post

I had some problems with IWD when I switched from wpa_supplicant, but it's been really stable for months now. I'm on Arch.
        I tried to switch more than a year ago. Did not go well. Quickly reverted to wpa_supplicant. Finally tried again a couple of months ago. Biggest pain is occasionally having to restart iwd as I often suspend my laptop. Reasonably satisfied. I'm also on Arch

Edit: Clarifications
        Last edited by cmsigler; 03 June 2022, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zx2c4 View Post
          The thing with iwd, last time I looked, is that it makes use of AF_CRYPTO sockets, which is really unfortunate. I wish they'd just do the crypto in userspace like any normal userspace program.
          I consider it fortunate. Avoids heavy SSL dependencies under OpenWrt. See https://github.com/openwrt/packages/...b1b8f447fe2898 and https://github.com/openwrt/packages/...19cf8dbffb94e6

Comment

Wl
            Originally posted by cmsigler View Post

I tried to switch more than a year ago. Did not go well. Quickly reverted to wpa_supplicant. Finally tried again a couple of months ago. Biggest pain is occasionally having to restart iwd as I often suspend my laptop. Reasonably satisfied. I'm also on Arch

Edit: Clarifications
            I never suspend my puter so I have not experienced any problem.... I shall suspend just for the fun of it and let you know.
            Last edited by kef71; 04 June 2022, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Cool. It would also be nice to see the first routers with iwd.

Comment

Originally posted by cmsigler View Post
                Biggest pain is occasionally having to restart iwd as I often suspend my laptop.
                Yeah, that happens to me occassionally.

Comment

Working...
                X