Ubuntu 22.10 Looking At Replacing WPA With IWD For Linux Wireless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 22.10 Looking At Replacing WPA With IWD For Linux Wireless

Phoronix: Ubuntu 22.10 Looking At Replacing WPA With IWD For Linux Wireless Needs

Adding to the list of planned changes for the Ubuntu 22.10 release this October is transitioning from WPA_Supplicant to Intel's IWD daemon for Linux wireless needs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

But IWD doesn't support wext drivers

Comment

WTF, has Canonical started to listen to feedback?
      First Pipewire and now IWD.
      Canonical, one more thing we want:
      Drop Snap garbage being installed by default!
      If people will ever want it or need they will install it by themselves.
      Stop with the bulshit of converting programs to Snap, stop with Hijacking Apt to install Snap and stop intentionally breaking support for Flatpak and AppImage!

Comment

Whenever i tried IWD i've had more weird connection problems than before...

Comment

The thing with iwd, last time I looked, is that it makes use of AF_CRYPTO sockets, which is really unfortunate. I wish they'd just do the crypto in userspace like any normal userspace program.

Comment

Originally posted by zx2c4 View Post
            The thing with iwd, last time I looked, is that it makes use of AF_CRYPTO sockets, which is really unfortunate. I wish they'd just do the crypto in userspace like any normal userspace program.
            They probably have a good reason for that (wouldn't be surprised if its performance related considering you mentioned userspace).

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

They probably have a good reason for that (wouldn't be surprised if its performance related considering you mentioned userspace).
              I think it's more likely that's just to uphold their promise of having zero dependencies. But every OS already has to ship OpenSSL anyway, it's not like we can live without it, since that's the crypto library pretty much all other software depends on, so there's little value in not depending on anything in this case.

Comment

so do they allow 5ghz softAP now?

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
                  Whenever i tried IWD i've had more weird connection problems than before...
                  I had some problems with IWD when I switched from wpa_supplicant, but it's been really stable for months now. I'm on Arch.

Comment

Originally posted by jntesteves View Post

I think it's more likely that's just to uphold their promise of having zero dependencies. But every OS already has to ship OpenSSL anyway, it's not like we can live without it, since that's the crypto library pretty much all other software depends on, so there's little value in not depending on anything in this case.
                    Not every OS. Embedded can very well do without if none of the userspace programs use it. Besides, daemons should strive for efficiency, if crypto sockets are (or ever become) able to offload crypto operations to cards, then a lot of work and copying disappears.

Comment

Working...
                    X