• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BingoNightly
    replied
    Originally posted by calc View Post

Yea, Kaby Lake is so ancient.

While Kaby Lake was long after UEFI was introduced large vendors (eg Lenovo) were still shipping broken UEFI even at that point, which couldn't boot Linux without ugly workarounds like using legacy boot mode, and that probably continued even more recently than that.
    ?? Is this something specific to Kaby Lake? I have Lenovos from Ivy Bridge through Skylake (and a couple Silvermonts) and they all boot fine with UEFI, no workarounds or hacks needed during install.

Leave a comment:

• jb.1234abcd
    replied
    Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

What is exactly your point here?
    Well, your opinion is as true as mine. Except, we both got it upside down.

Leave a comment:

• sinepgib
    replied
    Originally posted by jb.1234abcd View Post
    What is exactly your point here?

Leave a comment:

• jb.1234abcd
    replied
    Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

Whatever manpower they have, they have no obligation to any particular non-paying user. You get what you paid for. You get something for free, you say "thanks". You want it to do x thing, you pay or you do it yourself.
    Is that true ?

And Elvis dindo drugs ...

Leave a comment:

• You-
    replied
    Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Red Hat has developers working on the various upstream codebases and if there isn't a commercial requirement that supports that work ie) Red Hat enterprise customers, they will have to hand it off to the broader community to take it up .
    I think this point is often missed. The hobby distros and projects can often only function because someone is doing the heavy leg work. If those people or companies stop, their burden will become much higher or even impossible.

I was recently thinking it would be fun to start a project to make my own phone. I think I can get 95% of the way there with off the shelf components and software, without even needing to make my own distro. However such a project would be impossible to comprehend without the massive ecosystem that has invested in making it a possibility, both from the hardware and software prospects. If I try it, I get to piggy back on their work.

Leave a comment:

• You-
    replied
    Originally posted by user1 View Post

What if those users hate all the other distros and Fedora is the only distro they like? Cause that's kinda how I feel.
    Congratulations, this SIG is precisely for you. It has been designed to cater for those that want to use Fedora with legacy boot options for users who want to keep it around. Membership means you get to test changes to make sure it keeps working.

Leave a comment:

• sinepgib
    replied
    Originally posted by user1 View Post

What if those users hate all the other distros and Fedora is the only distro they like? Cause that's kinda how I feel.
    While I don't necessarily "hate" all the other distros, to me, Fedora is the closest to being perfect. What are the other options so far? I don't want Debian Stable or other LTS grade distros because the packages are too old. I don't want Ubuntu because of their push of Snaps. And I'm also not a fan of rolling release distros. I'm sure I'm not the only want who feels like this about my distro choice.
    If that's the case, in the case BIOS support actually got removed, there's always the option of making a downstream fork by the interested parties. It's open source, there's always a solution. The only problem is that solution always requires work.

Leave a comment:

• user1
    replied
    Originally posted by arun54321 View Post
    Those ancient bios users have tons of alternate distro to use. Why make fuss about it?
    While I don't necessarily "hate" all the other distros, to me, Fedora is the closest to being perfect. What are the other options so far? I don't want Debian Stable or other LTS grade distros because the packages are too old. I don't want Ubuntu because of their push of Snaps. And I'm also not a fan of rolling release distros. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels like this about my distro choice.
    Last edited by user1; 20 May 2022, 01:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sinepgib
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    I guess these small niche distros like Fedora just don't have the developer manpower to be able to keep useful functionality alive like some of the other larger hobby distros.

Whatever manpower they have, they have no obligation to any particular non-paying user. You get what you paid for. You get something for free, you say "thanks". You want it to do x thing, you pay or you do it yourself.

Leave a comment:

• calc
    replied
    Originally posted by arun54321 View Post
    Those ancient bios users have tons of alternate distro to use. Why make fuss about it?
    Yea, Kaby Lake is so ancient.

While Kaby Lake was long after UEFI was introduced large vendors (eg Lenovo) were still shipping broken UEFI even at that point, which couldn't boot Linux without ugly workarounds like using legacy boot mode, and that probably continued even more recently than that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X