No announcement yet.

Fedora BIOS Boot SIG Launched For Those Wanting To Maintain Legacy BIOS Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora BIOS Boot SIG Launched For Those Wanting To Maintain Legacy BIOS Support

Phoronix: Fedora BIOS Boot SIG Launched For Those Wanting To Maintain Legacy BIOS Support

Fedora will keep around its legacy BIOS support that was decided earlier this month after a proposal to deprecate legacy BIOS support to focus resources on UEFI-only booting. However, Fedora will be relying more on the community to maintain that legacy boot support and as such the Fedora BIOS Boot SIG (Special Interest Group) is now established...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is what they should have done to begin with. The previous idea of, "We're thinking about yanking the rug out from beneath you, how does that sound?", didn't really sound all that great.

At least they asked. Much better than, "Have you ever heard of the acronym 'TPM'? No? Enjoy."

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      At least they asked. Much better than, "Have you ever heard of the acronym 'TPM'? No? Enjoy."
      All large changes in Fedora have to go through a change proposal and you aren't allowed to just do it. Proposals do get rejected for various reasons. Because of confusion around this, there is now a note on top of every proposal announced on the list. Example

"This document represents a proposed Change. As part of the Changes process, proposals are publicly announced in order to receive community feedback. This proposal will only be implemented if approved by the Fedora Engineering Steering Committee."

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        This is what they should have done to begin with. The previous idea of, "We're thinking about yanking the rug out from beneath you, how does that sound?", didn't really sound all that great.

Sadly, there's only one way most of the community gets the message that someone doesn't want to do something for them anymore, and that's by threatening to just not do it anymore. People tend to not step up when they just ask for volunteers.

Comment

I guess these small niche distros like Fedora just don't have the developer manpower to be able to keep useful functionality alive like some of the other larger hobby distros.

Comment

Those ancient bios users have tons of alternate distro to use. Why make fuss about it?

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
              I guess these small niche distros like Fedora just don't have the developer manpower to be able to keep useful functionality alive like some of the other larger hobby distros.

Red Hat has developers working on the various upstream codebases and if there isn't a commercial requirement that supports that work ie) Red Hat enterprise customers, they will have to hand it off to the broader community to take it up . In this case, it is still a Red Hat developer volunteering to lead that work but more volunteers will have to step up to support it if they care about it. Community distros, if they are purely packaging upstream code don't have to be concerned about this till upstream drops it ie) what is happening in distros like Fedora has ripple effects because upstream development in a number of components are often led by the major distro developers.

Comment

Originally posted by arun54321 View Post
                Those ancient bios users have tons of alternate distro to use. Why make fuss about it?
                Yea, Kaby Lake is so ancient.

While Kaby Lake was long after UEFI was introduced large vendors (eg Lenovo) were still shipping broken UEFI even at that point, which couldn't boot Linux without ugly workarounds like using legacy boot mode, and that probably continued even more recently than that.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Whatever manpower they have, they have no obligation to any particular non-paying user. You get what you paid for. You get something for free, you say "thanks". You want it to do x thing, you pay or you do it yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by arun54321 View Post
                    What if those users hate all the other distros and Fedora is the only distro they like? Cause that's kinda how I feel.
                    While I don't necessarily "hate" all the other distros, to me, Fedora is the closest to being perfect. What are the other options so far? I don't want Debian Stable or other LTS grade distros because the packages are too old. I don't want Ubuntu because of their push of Snaps. And I'm also not a fan of rolling release distros. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels like this about my distro choice.
                    Last edited by user1; 20 May 2022, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X