Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel's Clear Linux Outpacing Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, Fedora 36 & Other H1'2022 Distros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AlmaLinux 8.6 already released. It'd be use the latest release in the tests.

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post

As Michael has written a few times now: The intent is to show distro performance out of the box. No one is stopping you from doing the analysis you requested yourself.
      Let's continue to test then, right? It makes the world a better place, right? It's outright useful, right? There's so much value in it, right? Ad impressions I guess, yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by lfarkas View Post
        AlmaLinux 8.6 already released. It'd be use the latest release in the tests.
        Testing started before it was released.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          Why you quoted my own suspicions is beyond me. The question is: have you actually tested anything? What makes you so bloody confident, "it's simple"?
          Phoronix tests these things individually all the time. It is not that hard to conclude this from the test. You just need to look at the data that was given here. Ubuntu 20.x is bad at zstd? Just look at the software version, it uses is oldest release from all of them. Same software version but different results? Look at the compiler flags. Compiler flags are the same? Look at the test if it is some kind of microbenchmark -> Scheduler.

It is pretty simple, really. There is no magic behind Linux distributions.

Comment

Originally posted by HD7950 View Post
            Arch Linux is one of the slowest distro, when a decade ago it used to be one of the fastest. They need a x86-64v3 port as soon as possible.
            In its standard config maybe but who uses arch linux and doesn't change a thing? The whole point of arch is its customizability. Possibly the CPU sheduler will allready close most of the gap.

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post

Phoronix tests these things individually all the time. It is not that hard to conclude this from the test. You just need to look at the data that was given here. Ubuntu 20.x is bad at zstd? Just look at the software version, it uses is oldest release from all of them. Same software version but different results? Look at the compiler flags. Compiler flags are the same? Look at the test if it is some kind of microbenchmark -> Scheduler.

It is pretty simple, really. There is no magic behind Linux distributions.
              Conclude what? Based on what?
              Last edited by birdie; 19 May 2022, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                Conclude what? Based on what?
                Never read any test on phoronix? If you are unable to read a test setup, read the results and combine these two things and look for differences then I can't help you.

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post

Never read any test on phoronix? If you are unable to read a test setup, read the results and combine these two things and look for differences then I can't help you.
                  Please don't help me. I prefer to deal with something which is tested using proper methodology and the scientific method. Nothing in your reply contains even a modicum of it.

Comment

Michael

Am i missing something or the calculations w.r.t. number of last places for arch linux is wrong?

in the last graph you report for number of last places:

Arch Linux 21 [20.8%]

But going through the article I count a total of 10 -- below Arch linux n. of last places in graphs by page in the article:
                    Distro Page N.Last
                    Arch 2 0
                    Arch 3 3
                    Arch 4 4
                    Arch 5 3
                    Arch 6 0
                    Total 10

Comment

Originally posted by HD7950 View Post
                      Arch Linux is one of the slowest distro, when a decade ago it used to be one of the fastest. They need a x86-64v3 port as soon as possible.
                      Are any of the other distros tweaked for x86-64v3?

Comment

Working...
                      X