Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel's Clear Linux Outpacing Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, Fedora 36 & Other H1'2022 Distros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grinness View Post
    Michael

Am i missing something or the calculations w.r.t. number of last places for arch linux is wrong?

in the last graph you report for number of last places:

Arch Linux 21 [20.8%]

But going through the article I count a total of 10 -- below Arch linux n. of last places in graphs by page in the article:
    Distro Page N.Last
    Arch 2 0
    Arch 3 3
    Arch 4 4
    Arch 5 3
    Arch 6 0
    Total 10
    Sorry results are correct, did not see the link:
    OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      Please don't help me. I prefer to deal with something which is tested using proper methodology and the scientific method. Nothing in your reply contains even a modicum of it.
      Okay, good luck for your search of the obvious.
      Last edited by -MacNuke-; 19 May 2022, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Let's continue to test then, right? It makes the world a better place, right? It's outright useful, right? There's so much value in it, right? Ad impressions I guess, yeah.
        Why do you care so much what Michael does with his time ?

Comment

Originally posted by Grinness View Post
          Michael

Am i missing something or the calculations w.r.t. number of last places for arch linux is wrong?

in the last graph you report for number of last places:

Arch Linux 21 [20.8%]

But going through the article I count a total of 10 -- below Arch linux n. of last places in graphs by page in the article:
          Distro Page N.Last
          Arch 2 0
          Arch 3 3
          Arch 4 4
          Arch 5 3
          Arch 6 0
          Total 10
          Click the openbenchmarking link on the last page of the article... There were more than 100 tests conducted. The uninteresting / redundant / etc results, can all be seen from that OB result file.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Let's continue to test then, right? It makes the world a better place, right? It's outright useful, right? There's so much value in it, right? Ad impressions I guess, yeah.
            well I'm using a HPC once in a while with virtualization to analyse measurement data. I do consider the results of benchmarks here to get out more performance. Even if it is just choosing a more performant base image. That saves time and power ...so yes it basically does make the world a little better. At least it helps me.

Comment

Originally posted by kef71 View Post

Are any of the other distros tweaked for x86-64v3?
              CachyOS is more-or-less an optimized vanilla Arch distro. They build x86-64-v3 packages, and also host some performance-related modifications.

ALHP.GO is a drop-in x86-64-v3/LTO replacement for the vanilla Arch repos.

I use both, and so far they're great projects.
              Last edited by brucethemoose; 19 May 2022, 12:57 PM.

Comment

• GCC flags? (I guess the most important)
                • Kernels' CONFIG_HZ/CONFIG_PREEMPT settings?
                • Kernels' debugging options?
                • Default schedulers and their options?
                • Something else?
                Hand written x86_64 assembler code for time critical sections?

Comment

Thank you very much for this review. Very helpful.

I would love to know how this comparison would be with an Epyc 3rd gen. What distro would be there in the front?

Comment

Originally posted by 3iswolf View Post
                    Thank you very much for this review. Very helpful.

I would love to know how this comparison would be with an Epyc 3rd gen. What distro would be there in the front?
                    Here are benchmarks from autumn on the EPYC Milan across distros - https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-distros&num=1
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by HD7950 View Post
                      Arch Linux is one of the slowest distro, when a decade ago it used to be one of the fastest. They need a x86-64v3 port as soon as possible.
                      I'm confused. Doesn't arch already compile their packages with -march=x86-64-v3 already? https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlin...0002-march.rst

Comment

Working...
                      X