Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9.0 GA Now Officially Available

Phoronix: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9.0 GA Now Officially Available

Last week Red Hat announced at the Red Hat Summit that RHEL9 would be reach GA in the coming weeks while today it officially crossed that threshold...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Isn't the choice of Linux 5.14 a little odd considering 5.15 is the LTS release? Or am I misremembering things?

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
      Isn't the choice of Linux 5.14 a little odd considering 5.15 is the LTS release? Or am I misremembering things?
      RHEL kernels have always been frankenkernels with boatloads of in-house backports from newer releases.

Comment

Greg and the Microsoft guy backport randomly deemed safe patches to the linux stable tree and LTS trees.
        Redhat backports fixes to client problems and features requested by clients.

Comment

Each RHEL major is supported for +10 years, which means that the kernel that is selected as a base will remain the same for the whole lifecycle of the major. This means that once the longterm 5.15 is not supported anymore Red Hat will still support 5.14 for RHEL9's whole lifecycle. It has been like this for RHEL always.

Comment

kylew77 The freeze on the kernel during the 9.0 development happened before 5.15 was released. And with the way the RHEL kernel development works (which others have touched on), it's not really a 5.14 kernel, but based on it. Subsystems get rebased and patched over time, the RHEL 8 kernel is closer to modern 5.x kernel in a lot of respects for the features we have turned on than it is to 4.18 that it was based on.

You can see everything happening in the kernel (excluding embargoed patches before release) in our source git: https://gitlab.com/redhat/centos-str...entos-stream-9

If folks have questions on RHEL 9.0, I'm happy to try and answer them to the best of my abilities.

Cheers,
            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by michaelo2 View Post

Each RHEL major is supported for +10 years, which means that the kernel that is selected as a base will remain the same for the whole lifecycle of the major. This means that once the longterm 5.15 is not supported anymore Red Hat will still support 5.14 for RHEL9's whole lifecycle. It has been like this for RHEL always.
              Major RHEL Releases arent supported +10years

Comment

Yay! Ooh, and I see EPEL 9 is already a thing, and RPMFusion lists an EL9 repo already (but it looks empty) . I need to bolt on ZFS and Nvidia though. Can I use Fedora RPM's until native packages are available? What's the most compatible Fedora release for those?

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

Major RHEL Releases arent supported +10years
                  RHEL's major versions are supported for 10 years + ELS.

ELS is an extra cost subscription that provides access for extra support after the main cycle of 10 years. That for RHEL7 and previous releases meant extra 3.5 years and for RHEL8 and RHEL9 will be 2 years. That makes 12 or 13.5 years of support depending of the version.

This info can be checked here: https://access.redhat.com/support/po...fe_Cycle_Dates

Comment

Working...
                  X