Lars Knoll Leaving The Qt Company, Starting New Chapter Outside Qt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I agree with everything you said, except for the part about Discover. I think Discover needs to improve to qualify as a "cruel joke".
    I'm all apt/zypper/pacman because of that... thing.
    I don't like Discover much, but apt is no comparison. aptitude maybe, but how great is that? I prefer Synaptic, but Muon is kde's alternative to Synaptic.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
      I think people have too much faith in Valve here and much of it is untested.
      For instance theyr A/B image based update mechanism. A rejection of OStree? Nope. They didnt even know it existed before they had announced their approach when it was too late to change.
      Not true. The A/B work was done by Collabora, which itself is an OSTree contributor.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermilion View Post

Not true. The A/B work was done by Collabora, which itself is an OSTree contributor.
        I didnt dispute that. Valve were unaware of OSTree, so their decision to subcontract for A/B images wasnt a choice made following an evaluation of whether ostree was good enough.

The actual developers (external contractors in this case) at the end will know the landscape, but the decision makers wont.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

I didnt dispute that. Valve were unaware of OSTree, so their decision to subcontract for A/B images wasnt a choice made following an evaluation of whether ostree was good enough.

The actual developers (external contractors in this case) at the end will know the landscape, but the decision makers wont.
          Collabora is a consultancy firm rather than a simple subcontractor. You can see in the comment that OSTree only partially solves what they were looking for.
          Also it's hard to believe engineers that built a system around Flatpaks didn't know and study prior works like Silverblue. You need to at least back up your claim with some form of proof.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Valve does not care much, they wanted something that is a 1:1 windows clone and nothing more. That a quality desktop experience is not their focus is clear, after all they decided to use KDE. I can not say I activated the desktop more then two times on my Deck, and each time was a truly awful experience, Dolphin and Discover are so bad I honestly believe they are some cruel joke.
            Honestly they should have rather integrated a File Manager and a Flatpak Manager UI and skipped that whole KDE thing as those are the only two things people activate KDE for anyways.
            Aren't you really not tired yet of polluting these forums with the same tasteless troll?
            You don't like KDE because it does not match your way of using computer, fair enough to each his own.
            Others appreciate it for the quality experience it provides, deal with it.

Getting back on the actual topic, which got diverted a great length "thanks" to you.
            To everyone more knowledgeable about QT than me, what are the actual and immediate consequences we can fathom about QT development? Wasn't Mr. Knoll kinda the "technical lead" from what I understand?
            Last edited by Citan; 19 May 2022, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Valve does not care much, they wanted something that is a 1:1 windows clone and nothing more. That a quality desktop experience is not their focus is clear, after all they decided to use KDE. I can not say I activated the desktop more then two times on my Deck, and each time was a truly awful experience, Dolphin and Discover are so bad I honestly believe they are some cruel joke.
              Honestly they should have rather integrated a File Manager and a Flatpak Manager UI and skipped that whole KDE thing as those are the only two things people activate KDE for anyways.
              Someone is still sour for Valve not choosing Gnome.
              Should we call you Alexbitter?

JK

Comment

Originally posted by Citan View Post

Aren't you really not tired yet of polluting these forums with the same tasteless troll?
                You don't like KDE because it does not match your way of using computer, fair enough to each his own.
                Others appreciate it for the quality experience it provides, deal with it.

Getting back on the actual topic, which got diverted a great length "thanks" to you.
                To everyone more knowledgeable about QT than me, what are the actual and immediate consequences we can fathom about QT development? Wasn't Mr. Knoll kinda the "technical lead" from what I understand?
                I don't think is that big of a deal. I'm in no way dismissing Knoll's work, but big companies are able to change even key figures without too much trouble

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

I don't think is that big of a deal. I'm in no way dismissing Knoll's work, but big companies are able to change even key figures without too much trouble
                  Well, I would agree with you... Theorically.

In practice, from what I have seen, the actual impact of someone leaving varies immensely depending on a number of factors, several of which you obviously cannot peer on if you're not part of the entreprise...
                  - Know-how sharing culture in the entreprise + personal mindset of the person concerned.
                  - Clarity of the 3 next years's strategy for developing product.
                  - Emphasis (or lack thereof) put upon inner product's documentation.
                  - "Personal weight" of that person in the product's conception, maintenance and evolution (locomotive vs wagon).
                  - Personal investment in generating positive dynamic (good boss vs bad boss can result in tremendous difference)
                  - General mood / dynamic within entreprise (usually how great activity is has an impact).

Employers love to say "nobody is irreplaceable", and it's "technically true". Thing is, once you start projecting into replacement costs for real, sometimes you realize letting someone go (or much worse pushing him/her out) was not a smart move. ^^ Some people are litterally pillars for a project, remove them and everything else crumbles around, fast or slow... Hence my interrogation as to whether Knoll was such a person for Qt project.

Hopefully Knoll will have left entirely of free well and in good stand with Qt and as a consequence everyone will have made every needed step to ensure a smooth transition for his team and successor.

Comment

Working...
                  X