Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Ubuntu Preview" Makes It Easy To Try The Bleeding-Edge Ubuntu Experience On WSL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Ubuntu Preview" Makes It Easy To Try The Bleeding-Edge Ubuntu Experience On WSL

Phoronix: "Ubuntu Preview" Makes It Easy To Try The Bleeding-Edge Ubuntu Experience On WSL

Canonical continues investing a lot in ensuring a first-rate Ubuntu experience when using Microsoft's Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL/WSL2) with Windows 10 and newer. Rather than needing to wait longer to see the fruits of that work in the next Ubuntu releases, Canonical has now made "Ubuntu Preview" available from the Microsoft Store to have a daily-updated, bleeding-edge Ubuntu experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Anything to help their friends make less developer switch to real Linux...
    Canonical as always, the traitors of Linux and free world!
    Weird that they are based in the Uk and not in Belarus.
    I guess the stupid things they do with Ubuntu are not stupid at all and just another way to make Linux look bad compared to Windows.
    Anyway, I would not recommend Ubuntu or any other Canonical product to anyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      I guess the stupid things they do with Ubuntu are not stupid at all and just another way to make Linux look bad compared to Windows.
      Canonical is a for-profit company and what they are doing with WSL has nothing to do with making less developers switch to real Linux or to making Linux look bad compared to Windows; it's just about profit. It's quite simple: the more Windows developers use Ubuntu on their daily machines, the more likely they are to host their apps in Ubuntu based clouds or IOTs, which is where Canonical makes its profit. It doesn't matter to Canonical whether you run Ubuntu natively on your machine or through some layer since the end result would be the same, and would be better for them than if those developers just stick to Windows.

What Canonical is doing with WSL is actually a two edged sword. On one hand it makes Windows users less in need of switching to real Linux, but on the other hand it makes Linux developers less in need of making Windows builds for their developer based tools.

Comment

Well, that escalated quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Well, that escalated quickly.
          Well...
          I can't stand Gnome 3
          I can't stand Snap packages
          I can't stand forced upgrades
          I can't stand Microsoft's EEE, vendor lock-ins and anybody who's helping them in that direction.
          So it's pretty obvious that I cannot stand Canonical and I hate it every time they help Microsoft continue their shitty things against open source and Linux.

Comment

Well...
            I can't stand Gnome 3
            I can't stand Microsoft's EEE, vendor lock-ins and anybody who's helping them in that direction.
            So it's pretty obvious that I cannot stand Canonical and I hate it every time they help Microsoft continue their shitty things against open source and Linux.
            Same here on Gnome 3 and snap. Extremely rarely using windows for the past few years and I'm surprised just how boldly Microsoft takes control of your PC, they force you to make a MS account and give your phone number just to install it. Disgusting. Overall usage feels like Microsoft is constantly monitoring for an excuse to lock you out of your PC (while all kinds of data from you).

Comment

Danny Danny... you are not in a good mood today.
              Belarus giants will put you in the "white room", and they will sodomize you.. and they are BIG!!!
              You will never try to offend them in the future..

Comment

Oh hey. Cool. Uh... can Ubuntu users have 'Ubuntu Preview' on the bare-metal platform? Seems like it would be pretty good to have a 'rolling' option, maybe even instead of the interim releases.

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post
                  Oh hey. Cool. Uh... can Ubuntu users have 'Ubuntu Preview' on the bare-metal platform? Seems like it would be pretty good to have a 'rolling' option, maybe even instead of the interim releases.
                  While they are at it they might as well introduce the following sub-variants of all their official distributions (stable, testing and unstable. That would make them a pure copy of Debian and it would be easier to just rebrand and ship variants based on what desktop environment is pre-installed. Easy money!

I am not to keen on the "Micrononical Winbuntu / Ubundows" cooperation, as sarmad said - it is just about making money for them - the fact that they try to ruin all that is good with Debian / Linux is just a unfortunate byproduct!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Well...
                    I can't stand Gnome 3
                    I'm not a fan of any of that either, but I can still look past my dislike of that to see the benefits this provides for crossplatform devs, Linux devs, folks stuck with Windows-only IT departments, etc. Now that I think about it, I need to look into seeing if Ubuntu's WSL2 image has OpenZFS capabilities since my only real use of WSL2 is to mount Linux file systems...If Windows was a car the bumper sticker would say "My other car is a Penguin".

Besides, it's not like you can't get Fedora, Arch, SUSE, Debian, or most any other distribution for WSL2. Maybe the Hat or SUSE folks will see Ubuntu doing this and start pushing their own WLS2 preview images just to keep up with the Jones (if they're not already...not like I keep up with WSL2 distros).

Comment

Working...
                    X