Arch Linux Temporarily Steps Back From WirePlumber After Snafu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
    I don't know why you need a pipewire session manager, if you want only screen sharing from pipewire. By default Arch did not install any session manager and screensharing was working flawlessly. Me migrated to pipewire for sound like 1.5y ago and used wireplumber without any problems.
    I gifted myself a "new" laptop on christmas and gave pipewire and wireplumber a try. But then I noticed that I lost audio after a few minutes of my Zoom calls. "Reverted" back to pulseaudio and everything's fine. At least almost, as I couldn't figure out how to stop wireplumber and pipewire-pulse to start on each login without completely uninstalling them.

Comment

Originally posted by frytaped View Post
      And they said Arch doesnt break with updates
      Who is they? If you read the arch wiki carefully https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Sys...ing_the_system you must have noticed that there is a posibillity of breakage.
      That said, the only problem I remember was an outdated key. I simply put the error message in google, copied the solution from there and was ready to go.
      Last edited by Anux; 13 May 2022, 07:03 AM.

Comment

I've been running PipeWire on my computers for quite a while now, so there was no trouble for me when I got that package.

Comment

Well, I haven't updated in a while. When I update there will be no issues

Comment

Originally posted by madinside View Post

Yeah, that might be a reason. I don't remember anymore. The upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04 broke and was the final straw for me switching to Arch. At my last employer, we used dozens of Ubuntu laptops and of course they broke every now and then. In my experience, that didn't happen more often than Windows on any update (rather more rarely). And yes, we used a few PPAs back then because Canonical didn't provide everything needed.

In my experience, the HWE stacks are more of a problem as they replace a big chunk of the stable LTS base.
            Ithink you problems are that old ubuntu distros, hwe was new thing at time, right now, i cant remember to have broke things in ubuntu using lts distros, upgrading one to another is always a bad ideia, or you use everything from them or you will have problems with ppa

Comment

Another way to look at it: It's so uncommon that, when it does, it makes the news.

Comment

Nightly Chromium and default VLC both have bugs on Ubuntu for me.

EndeavourOS asked me to add a new signing key

Comment

This isn't breakage, it's just unceremoniously overwriting user's settings.
                  Fwiw, I've been using WirePlumber on Arch for months and it's working just fine. But I don't have any Pulse or ALSA specific settings. I've had some Pulse specific settings before, but when I switched to PipeWire, it was easy to find them in PipeWire's docs so I migrated everything (i.e. a few lines) myself.

Comment

Had that same issue a while back when Manjaro attempted to switch to wireplumber. This thing is clearly not ready.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Breakages with Ubuntu updates or upgrades? Idk how good are Ubuntu upgrades (never done them myself), but if you mean regular updates, it sounds like you have dozens of ppa's installed. Ubuntu should never break like a rolling release if you don't saturate it with ppa's, especially those that change system libraries.
                      Yeah, 'cause Ubuntu is perfect in every way, right? Even rock stable stuff can break.

Comment

Working...
                      X