Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch Linux Temporarily Steps Back From WirePlumber After Snafu

Phoronix: Arch Linux Temporarily Steps Back From WirePlumber After Snafu

Earlier this week Arch Linux set the WirePlumber package to replace PipeWire-Media-Session. WirePlumber is the modern, feature-rich session manager for PipeWire and much better off than the reference PipeWire-Media-Session manager that is effectively unmaintained. But Arch Linux developers are now calling this premature and have reverted the change...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

TLDR; WirePlumber always configures PipeWire to grab audio devices regardless of config settings.

I can't imagine that it would take long for someone to fix this issue.

Comment

The link is broken; it seems to include a <br> or something.

Comment

And they said Arch doesnt break with updates

Comment

Originally posted by frytaped View Post
          I had several breakages with Ubuntu updates and several with Arch Linux. I don't think they are so different in terms of breakages through updates.

Comment

Originally posted by madinside View Post

I had several breakages with Ubuntu updates and several with Arch Linux. I don't think they are so different in terms of breakages through updates.
            Breakages with Ubuntu updates or upgrades? Idk how good are Ubuntu upgrades (never done them myself), but if you mean regular updates, it sounds like you have dozens of ppa's installed. Ubuntu should never break like a rolling release if you don't saturate it with ppa's, especially those that change system libraries.

Comment

I'm going to answer this as they were not sarcastic in any way.
              Originally posted by frytaped View Post
              Originally posted by madinside View Post
              had several breakages with Ubuntu updates and several with Arch Linux. I don't think they are so different in terms of breakages through updates.
              Imagine thinking that something developed by a human is perfect.

Comment

I don't know why you need a pipewire session manager, if you want only screen sharing from pipewire. By default Arch did not install any session manager and screensharing was working flawlessly. Me migrated to pipewire for sound like 1.5y ago and used wireplumber without any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Breakages with Ubuntu updates or upgrades? Idk how good are Ubuntu upgrades (never done them myself), but if you mean regular updates, it sounds like you have dozens of ppa's installed. Ubuntu should never break like a rolling release if you don't saturate it with ppa's, especially those that change system libraries.
                  Yeah, that might be a reason. I don't remember anymore. The upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04 broke and was the final straw for me switching to Arch. At my last employer, we used dozens of Ubuntu laptops and of course they broke every now and then. In my experience, that didn't happen more often than Windows on any update (rather more rarely). And yes, we used a few PPAs back then because Canonical didn't provide everything needed.

In my experience, the HWE stacks are more of a problem as they replace a big chunk of the stable LTS base.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
                    I'm going to answer this as they were not sarcastic in any way.

Imagine thinking that something developed by a human is perfect.
                    I'm quite relaxed in that regard. I subscribed to the Arch Linux RSS feed and if I ever notice something possibly affecting my system I take a thourough look at it. Shit happens, but I cannot say I experienced more of it since switching to a rolling release distribution.

Comment

Working...
                    X