Arch Linux Temporarily Steps Back From WirePlumber After Snafu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Yeah, 'cause Ubuntu is perfect in every way, right? Even rock stable stuff can break.
    I never said it's perfect. But saying that Ubuntu is comparable to Arch in terms of breakage is just absurd (if we speak about regular updates). He later admitted he was using ppa's.
    The vast majority of my time on Linux I used Ubuntu based distros and I never experienced any breakages.
    In Ubuntu, every package version is frozen within a certain release so there is just no reason for something to break.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

I never said it's perfect. But saying that Ubuntu is comparable to Arch in terms of breakage is just absurd (if we speak about regular updates). He later admitted he was using ppa's.
      The vast majority of my time on Linux I used Ubuntu based distros and I never experienced any breakages.
      In Ubuntu, every package version is frozen within a certain release so there is just no reason for something to break.
      That's my problem with Ubuntu: it's stable because it never really updates everything. You want something more recent than whatever is frozen in their repos, you need to start hunting for PPAs. That's a perfectly fine policy for Debian and server-oriented distros. For desktop, it just sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

That's my problem with Ubuntu: it's stable because it never really updates everything. You want something more recent than whatever is frozen in their repos, you need to start hunting for PPAs. That's a perfectly fine policy for Debian and server-oriented distros. For desktop, it just sucks.
        Well, everyone has their own needs. I'm one of those who don't need to have everything up to date. Mesa drivers is the only thing I want to be up to date, so that's why I use the Kisak Mesa ppa. It's the only ppa I use.

Comment

Hmm. I thought it was supposed to be a drop-in replacement for pulseaudio. I can see WirePlumber breaking ALSA/dmix, JACK, and other less common audio configurations, but how did they screw that up?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

It's nothing of a hunt really. And once it is set up, it sticks (might wait a bit at upgrade time). The principle of PPAs is very similar to the AUR (where you can also add separate repos).
            This is much better and more efficient than the flatsnap crap. And without the theming, file saving or accessibility (to tools or 3rd party functions) disadvantages of sandboxing. In general, it's more resource-efficient, practical, modern and consistent than bundled packages.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
              It's nothing of a hunt really. And once it is set up, it sticks (might wait a bit at upgrade time). The principle of PPAs is very similar to the AUR (where you can also add separate repos).
              This is much better and more efficient than the flatsnap crap. And without the theming, file saving or accessibility (to tools or 3rd party functions) disadvantages of sandboxing. In general, it's more resource-efficient, practical, modern and consistent than bundled packages.
              Trust me, I've been on (K)Ubuntu for over 10 years. For the needs of a developer, everything is old in there, I needed quite a bunch of PPAs to the point I gave up. Now I'm on Arch and the only AUR I use is Spotify's.
              Last edited by bug77; 13 May 2022, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by frytaped View Post
                And they said Arch doesnt break with updates
                RHEL and Debian stable are for those who are considering a major switch from the PC speaker driver & OSS to 2.0 44,1 KHz stereo ALSA in 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

RHEL and Debian stable are for those who are considering a major switch from the PC speaker driver & OSS to 2.0 44,1 KHz stereo ALSA in 2022.
                  Funny, but Ubuntu actually goes to some lengths to ensure a good multimedia experience out-of-the-box. Whatever they can't legally distribute is just shown in a pop-up and installed in a couple of mouse clicks.
                  RHEL and Debian stable are not for desktops anyway, the PC speaker is perfectly adequate for them :P

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

imho ubunut doesnt break on updates, but it may on upgrades. eg the wayland update broke my remote control for brightness and blue filter.
                    and the last update to pipewire broke my pulseaudio filters.

and... that's exactly what would break on arch. the only difference is that arch is rolling release and doesnt distinguish between updates and upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by madinside View Post

I gifted myself a "new" laptop on christmas and gave pipewire and wireplumber a try. But then I noticed that I lost audio after a few minutes of my Zoom calls. "Reverted" back to pulseaudio and everything's fine. At least almost, as I couldn't figure out how to stop wireplumber and pipewire-pulse to start on each login without completely uninstalling them.
                      Similar to my experiences. I read about pipewire and thought I'd give it a try. Not only was the playback choppy, but recording was broken completely. It seems pipewire used the wrong frequency or something, all input was resampled wrong. And not just closed source junk like skype, but also basic recording software like the gnome app.

I just switched back to pulse and never looked back, I just hope they don't kill pulse anytime soon. Last thing I need is broken audio due to some l77ts0und server that's the best since sliced bread.

Comment

Working...
                      X