RHEL9 Reaching GA Shortly, RHIVOS Woos GM For Software-Defined Vehicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RHEL9 Reaching GA Shortly, RHIVOS Woos GM For Software-Defined Vehicles

Phoronix: RHEL9 Reaching GA Shortly, RHIVOS Woos GM For Software-Defined Vehicles

Today at the Red Hat Summit is word of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9 reaching general availability status in the coming weeks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 was officially released on May 7, 2019.

If they were following the 5-year release mode, RHEL 9 should be released around May 2024, but now it's just 2022.

It seems they finally realized the 5-year release cycle are not competitive for various things.

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
      It seems they finally realized the 5-year release cycle are not competitive for various things.
      Yep, I think they want to keep up at Ubuntu LTS' pace to make sure things are still fresh for the users.

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
        Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 was officially released on May 7, 2019.

If they were following the 5-year release mode, RHEL 9 should be released around May 2024, but now it's just 2022.

They never had any 5 year release cycle policy in the first place, only a set number of years of maintenance after a release. Prior releases don't show any kind of fixed interval between them for major releases. They do have a more recent policy of fixed interval for minor releases however.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

They never had any 5 year release cycle policy in the first place, only a set number of years of maintenance after a release. Prior releases don't show any kind of fixed interval between them for major releases. They do have a more recent policy of fixed interval for minor releases however.
          The new three years release cycle policy for major releases was shared in the CentOS Stream FAQ.
          An FAQ for inquiries around the updates to CentOS Stream from Red Hat.
          Last edited by Ub42; 11 May 2022, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Feels like it's way too early for RHEL 9. I don't think it will be any good if they do it every 3 years.
            I use some Cadence software that is still RHEL 7-only and they just began updating it for version 8. They can just start skipping versions

Comment

Are IBM going to rebrand it as OS2 Warp Factor 9 ?

Comment

With one notable exception, RHEL has had a 3 year release cycle since RHEL5.0 back in 2007, so this is pretty much right on schedule.

Coincidentally or otherwise, the exception - RHEL7 was the latest for 6 years rather than 3 - always felt like 'peak RHEL' to me, which I say as an old admin who first came across (from Solaris) circa RHEL3U2

Comment

Working...
                X