Fedora 36 Is A Terrific Release Especially For Linux Enthusiasts, Power Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arun54321 View Post
    RPM fusion is fine. "Average Joe" is not going to use rawhide. That's not a problem.
    They are going to use Firefox, Chrome, video codecs, and games. Sans Firefox, all of that is RPMFusion and you need stuff from there to make FF suck less to make it capable of running Netflix. Yeah, I'm kind of ignoring Flatpak in those regards, but, then again, Flats can also be considered another layer of bullshit if you're Average Joe...a pick yer poison scenario.

My point is simply that Fedora requires a person to go 3rd party for the full experience. Users don't have to do that on Ubuntu, Arch, Manjaro, Void, T2SDE, and other Linux operating systems. All the repos are in sync. No risk of worrying about 3rd party repo breakages.

Feel free to replace Fedora with SUSE and RPMFusion with Packman.

Anyways, I'm gonna stop replying. No reason to muck up the thread with this topic.
    Last edited by skeevy420; 10 May 2022, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Is font rendering on Fedora as good as on Ubuntu?
      Or does Fedora disable patented antialiasing and media codecs so everything looks ugly and I can't play media?
      IIRC, Fedora leaves FreeType harmony rendering enabled which offers rendering quality at least on par with ClearType (and additionally works on every subpixel layout, not that this matters in practice). Font selection also has some influence, IMO Cantarell (Fedora's previous default font, at least on GNOME) is significantly worse than both Noto and Ubuntu fonts.
      Patent-encumbered codecs on the other hand are still not shipped in official repositories, with the exception of limited H.264 support offered via a dedicated (and enabled by default) repo provided by Cisco.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

That's my biggest issue and source of problems with Fedora - RPMFusion. About half the time I've tried out Fedora, their repos and RPMFusion didn't sync up...very similar to running Arch and waiting a day for the Chaotic-AUR repos to update. That's especially so if you dip into Rawhide.

I wish RPMFusion was like enabling non-free in Ubuntu where it's literally a click or two in their software program and not like now where you have to run terminal commands to enable 3rd party repos that may or may not be in sync so the user can have the Full Desktop experience....not the Stallman experience Fedora offers at present.

Basically, from the point of view of the Average Joe, it's just an extra layer of bullshit when both installing and updating the system. If it was part of the official repos and able to be added/removed with a click or two it would at least take the layer of bullshit out of updating the system.

Not to mention that it would make life a lot easier for desktop devs and sys admins due to not having to worry about Rawhide RPMFusion breakages.
        RPMFusion will be the least of your problems if you use rawhide.

Fedora isn't allowed to depend on any packages in RPMFusion so you shouldn't get any issues, I myself have never got into any issues with RPMFusion and I've been using Fedora for a decade now.

I agree RPMFusion should be easier to enable, but blame legal issues for that (RH/IBM is a big target)

Comment

Originally posted by SilverFox

dead easy in 36 for fresh install, as it asks if you want to enable 3rd party repos during user creation.
          Does it? That's really nice to know. My last go at it was F34...regular and Silverblue+Kinoite...and, IIRC, it was still copy/pasting the commands from the RPMFusion page.

As long as it all stays in sync that basically solves my biggest Fedora issue. While it doesn't solve my pet peeve about using 3rd party repos for what I consider to be core OS functionality, at least it's better than not having the option at all.

Britoid It probably doesn't help that I use software that Fedora will never include or doesn't use by default; OpenZFS, Steam, and KDE. 2/3 require 3rd party repos and the other one is a completely different set of software running on an alternate graphical environment. I will say that I had more RPMFusion issues after F30 with Fedora variants like Silverblue and not Fedora itself (not including Rawhide).

Silverblue with RPMFusion, OpenZFS, Kinoite (KDE), and other layers can be very frustrating to deal with.

Comment

Does it? That's really nice to know. My last go at it was F34...regular and Silverblue+Kinoite...and, IIRC, it was still copy/pasting the commands from the RPMFusion page.
            There has been a lot of changes over many releases now. This one covers some. Fedora 34 predates this change. Also Flathub is going to be enabled by default without any filters and that should bring in easier access for a variety of third party components. Pretty much every release includes some sort of change in this space.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

There has been a lot of changes over many releases now. This one covers some. Fedora 34 predates this change. Also Flathub is going to be enabled by default without any filters and that should bring in easier access for a variety of third party components. Pretty much every release includes some sort of change in this space.
              Yummy. All this crow tastes so good.

Comment

As long as it all stays in sync that basically solves my biggest Fedora issue. While it doesn't solve my pet peeve about using 3rd party repos for what I consider to be core OS functionality, at least it's better than not having the option at all.

Britoid It probably doesn't help that I use software that Fedora will never include or doesn't use by default; OpenZFS, Steam, and KDE. 2/3 require 3rd party repos and the other one is a completely different set of software running on an alternate graphical environment. I will say that I had more RPMFusion issues after F30 with Fedora variants like Silverblue and not Fedora itself (not including Rawhide).

Silverblue with RPMFusion, OpenZFS, Kinoite (KDE), and other layers can be very frustrating to deal with.
                Yeah this is the main reason I was so adamant in using Manjaro as a distro on my company laptop where they were previously quite strict about Fedora. Even though its apparently easier to enable RPMFusion on Fedora 36, there are still a lot of packages that aren't on RPMFusion which are on ArchLinux's AUR that as a developer I rely on.

I am still of the opinion that this is mainly a side effect of how simple/easy it is to make packages in ArchLinux (following their KISS principle) where as RPM has more ceremony required for packaging (maybe that's improved as of late).

Comment

Originally posted by Avant

What mesa ppa do you use?
                  The one I used for testing was Oibaf PPA. While there is a Haswell-optimized repo out there which would be better performing on compatible hardware, it uses a too aggressive Ofast optimization level which leads to graphics corruption in all of my tested games. I wonder why the maintainer hasn't altered it by now, this is going on for a while already.

By the way, everyone interested in more details can have a look at my blog where I recently documented my steps on EndeavourOS (which should also apply to other Arch-based distros).

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

I am still of the opinion that this is mainly a side effect of how simple/easy it is to make packages in ArchLinux (following their KISS principle) where as RPM has more ceremony required for packaging (maybe that's improved as of late).
                    Fedora has strict packaging guidelines which RPMFusion also largely follows but a good portion of the challenges is that Fedora has to consider legal issues in a different way from many other distributions because it is sponsored by a large and profitable US business. It can be entirely automated with packit if you choose to use that or trivial to throw together packages in a copr repo but that doesn't help with licensing or patents.
                    Last edited by RahulSundaram; 10 May 2022, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                      I've tested the April 27th ISO from the Fedora gaming spin (Nubara Project) last weekend. But the out-of-the-box gaming performance didn't impress me at all, tested with the in-game-benchmark of Company of Heroes 2. Even though it was an improvement over an older Rawhide release (20 fps > 33 fps), it is still noticeably slower than other distributions at stock on my hardware (around 40 - 45 fps on Tumbleweed and Endeavour). The good news is that one can get a vastly improved experience by compiling a Xanmod Kernel (at least 85 fps - you can also get to this level quickly by using Kubuntu + Xanmod and Mesa PPA). Just for reference, with a performance optimized EndeavourOS, I get 101 fps and around 93-95 fps on Windows 10 and 11.
                      Fedora is the only mainstream distro to be using SELinux, and afaik that has some overhead that would affect game performance. There's Nobara for a gaming-optimized version of Fedora that disables SELinux: https://nobaraproject.org/

SELinux is the main reason I use Fedora though, and without that, I'd probably be using openSUSE TW or Ubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                      X