Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora 36 Is A Terrific Release Especially For Linux Enthusiasts, Power Users

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by ms178 View Post
    I've tested the April 27th ISO from the Fedora gaming spin (Nubara Project) last weekend. But the out-of-the-box gaming performance didn't impress me at all, tested with the in-game-benchmark of Company of Heroes 2. Even though it was an improvement over an older Rawhide release (20 fps > 33 fps), it is still noticeably slower than other distributions at stock on my hardware (around 40 - 45 fps on Tumbleweed and Endeavour). The good news is that one can get a vastly improved experience by compiling a Xanmod Kernel (at least 85 fps - you can also get to this level quickly by using Kubuntu + Xanmod and Mesa PPA). Just for reference, with a performance optimized EndeavourOS, I get 101 fps and around 93-95 fps on Windows 10 and 11.
    Fedora is the only mainstream distro to be using SELinux, and afaik that has some overhead that would affect game performance. There's Nobara for a gaming-optimized version of Fedora that disables SELinux: https://nobaraproject.org/

    SELinux is the main reason I use Fedora though, and without that, I'd probably be using openSUSE TW or Ubuntu.

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

      Fedora is the only mainstream distro to be using SELinux, and afaik that has some overhead that would affect game performance. There's Nobara for a gaming-optimized version of Fedora that disables SELinux: https://nobaraproject.org/

      SELinux is the main reason I use Fedora though, and without that, I'd probably be using openSUSE TW or Ubuntu.
      The sad thing is that even with Nobara's tweaks the numbers are still behind other distros out-of-the-box experience. This can be manually corrected, as I stated in my first post. But still, I wouldn't recommend Fedora/Nubara for gaming for normies that don't compile their own Kernel.
      Last edited by ms178; 10 May 2022, 11:01 AM.

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by ms178 View Post
        I've tested the April 27th ISO from the Fedora gaming spin (Nubara Project) last weekend. But the out-of-the-box gaming performance didn't impress me at all, tested with the in-game-benchmark of Company of Heroes 2. Even though it was an improvement over an older Rawhide release (20 fps > 33 fps), it is still noticeably slower than other distributions at stock on my hardware (around 40 - 45 fps on Tumbleweed and Endeavour). The good news is that one can get a vastly improved experience by compiling a Xanmod Kernel (at least 85 fps - you can also get to this level quickly by using Kubuntu + Xanmod and Mesa PPA). Just for reference, with a performance optimized EndeavourOS, I get 101 fps and around 93-95 fps on Windows 10 and 11.
        I had a different experience. I used the 4/23/2022 build and got OOTB the same FPS as i did with a heavily customized Linux Mint.
        https://flightlessmango.com/games/19036/logs/2859

        Comment


        • #24
          is dnf still trash and trying to download 50MB of caches anytime you try to do most basic dnf thing? (like pkg search, etc), it has always been driving me nuts. apt-get is still magnitude times faster when installing package, you can get done with apt-get while dnf is still syncing cache. On Fedora installs I have been changing matadata expiry from dumb 6h default to 7 days: for r in /etc/yum.repos.d/*.repo; do sed -i 's/metadata_expire=6h/metadata_expire=7d/g' $r; done and then searching with dnf -C search foo

          Comment


          • #25
            RPM Fusion is something that shouldnt always be recommended IMO.

            For most users Flatpak/flathub should be the main recommended way and then rpmfusion is only needed for nvidia drivers.

            There is a good thing Fedora 37 users wont even need to enable flathub as it will come pre-enabled.

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Is font rendering on Fedora as good as on Ubuntu?
              Or does Fedora disable patented antialiasing and media codecs so everything looks ugly and I can't play media?
              Font rendering on Ubuntu sucks because it uses GTK. In my long-time experience, GTK font rendering always ranges from a little bad to very bad.

              Comment


              • #27
                Does anyone experience a brief light blue flash before the login animation in 36 workstation? I see this everytime. This didn't happen in 34 and 35.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by You- View Post
                  RPM Fusion is something that shouldnt always be recommended IMO.

                  For most users Flatpak/flathub should be the main recommended way and then rpmfusion is only needed for nvidia drivers.

                  There is a good thing Fedora 37 users wont even need to enable flathub as it will come pre-enabled.
                  Do you know when Fedora 37 will be released?

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by nist View Post

                    Do you know when Fedora 37 will be released?
                    https://fedorapeople.org/groups/schedule/ has tentative timelines for several upcoming releases including 37.

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                      My point is simply that Fedora requires a person to go 3rd party for the full experience. Users don't have to do that on Ubuntu, Arch, Manjaro, Void, T2SDE, and other Linux operating systems. All the repos are in sync. No risk of worrying about 3rd party repo breakages.
                      IMO: official (Arch, Manjaro, Void, T2SDE) > libre 3rd party (Fedora) > proprietary (Ubuntu).

                      Not that it's going to prevent me from using Fedora or Ubuntu.

                      Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                      Anyways, I'm gonna stop replying. No reason to muck up the thread with this topic.
                      No please. I need a spicy conversation. xD

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X