Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Linux 36 Being Released Next Week

Phoronix: Fedora Linux 36 Being Released Next Week

After being delayed a few weeks from their original release target, Fedora 36 is now primed for release next week Tuesday...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good release. Been using it a week now. No issues at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Goddard View Post
      Good release. Been using it a week now. No issues at all.
      would you check VPN connections if you have any issue with?

Comment

This release looks interesting (I switched to F36 yesterday), but font rendering for GTK4 apps are horrible on low DPI displays. Gnome devs did the same stupid step like Apple developers with macOS, where they removed subpixel font rendering. I switched from Ubuntu to Fedora 35, but now Ubuntu looks much better, however due to Snap crap and PulseAudio in Ubuntu, Fedora is still a better choice in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by nadro View Post
          This release looks interesting (I switched to F36 yesterday), but font rendering for GTK4 apps are horrible on low DPI displays. Gnome devs did the same stupid step like Apple developers with macOS, where they removed subpixel font rendering. I switched from Ubuntu to Fedora 35, but now Ubuntu looks much better, however due to Snap crap and PulseAudio in Ubuntu, Fedora is still a better choice in my opinion.
          there is a ppa to swap out pulseaudio. i used it on 21.10 and it's flawless on 22.04. I was surprised Pulse Audio remained as the default.

i use Fedora on my laptop, ubuntu on my workstation. i don't notice the font rendering. snaps and flatpaks are worjs in progress. often they are good. but not always. on ubuntu, the flatpak steam worked and the .deb didn't. on Fedora, the .rpm for totem stutters, the flatpak is great. But I've tried hard to love the snap firefox, and failed. back to the .deb via ppa. it's was not ready at 22.04 release (wayland does not work due to a mutter bug, fixed very recently). bad decision to ship it. would never had passed Fedora quality control if ubuntu was as strict.

Comment

> , but font rendering for GTK4 apps are horrible on low DPI displays

It's true but it is getting better. There were a number of plain bugs beyond just "stupid steps copying Apple" that were in the GL renderer. Not all of them were my bugs, but some of them were

The good news is that those are getting fixed and you can combine them with some other options to improve the situation today quite a bit.

Longer term, I have some work we might be able to land with 4.8 to actually start rendering all non-color glyphs (ie: everything but PNG embedded emoji) using a specialized texture atlas which allows us to render the actual shapes on the GPU rather than blit'ing them from pre-rendered texture atlas as they do now. This will afford us a lot more control over how things look. Take a look at Behdad's GLyphy work to get a taste of the quality that can be done on the GPU now in a fashion that is fast enough to no longer be a blocker.

Drawing pre-rendered textures from an atlas using an alpha channel + coloring is certainly fast, but it also has a great deal of limitations on where you can place things and how they need to align with grids.

There is still a bit more to be done (overlapping paths turn out to be really hard to render from fonts on the GPU) but that has mostly been solved on the GLyphy branch by simplifying paths before uploading to the GPU. Furthermore, we probably need a bit of hinting support from Harfbuzz directly to get the quality output people are really looking for.

Anyway, point being, yes we hear your complaints, and we do care, and we are looking for ways to improve the quality of rendering across a number of form factors and pixel densities. I still need to finish Builder's GTK 4 port and the new designer, so I personally wont have too much time this (6 month) cycle beyond my work to initially integrate GLyphy. But that doesn't mean it can't still land.

Comment

elduderino thanks for explanation of current situation with font rendering in the GTK world, it looks promising. I hope that GLyphy will appear in some form at upcoming release cycle, because it looks really good, but even if not I appreciate your contributions for oss development.thanks for explanation of current situation with font rendering in the GTK world, it looks promising. I hope that GLyphy will appear in some form, because it looks really good, but even if not I appreciate your contributions to open source software.

timrichardson I know about ppa for pipewire, but I used manually installed pipewire packages from debian unstable (some releases was delayed on ppa). For me Pipewire worked fine on Ubuntu too, but situation in Fedora looks better IMO where we don't have PA installed, but just Pipewire with quick updates. Similar situation was with mesa, where Ubuntu have great ppa from Kisak, however on Fedora mesa is updated regularly most of the time. What about Snap? I saw slow startup of snapped apps (I have Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, so something was definitly wrong with those apps) thats why I removed snapd and dependencies after every update, but I see that Ubuntu's integration with snapd is even tighter with each release, so it may be impossible to just remove snapd at future. I'm happy with Flatpak and use Firefox from there (works great from my point of view).

Comment

What have they done to the theme? It looks straight out of the 90´s.
                Amateurish at this level.

Comment

Been using it for a week myself, only issue so far is that my AMD GPU fanspeed is always 0rpm in lm_sensors, even if it spun up

Comment

Originally posted by nadro View Post
                    This release looks interesting (I switched to F36 yesterday), but font rendering for GTK4 apps are horrible on low DPI displays
                    this is the single reason why I won't upgrade to F36 until is fixed.
                    I've being a Fedora user since Core 7 and this is the first time I'm disappointed by a release. (well, except maybe F15 or so when they introduced Gnome 3)

Comment

Working...
                    X