Fedora 37 Will Not Deprecate Legacy BIOS Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by user1 View Post

There are still pretty capable pre-UEFI hardware, like the first 2 gens of intel core i CPU's, like i7 920 or i7 2600K. With i7 2600K you can even play fairly modern games as shown in this video. As you can see, when you pair it with a GTX 1070, it's not that behind even compared to an i7 8700K. And it doesn't have to be an i7 if you only want to have decent desktop performance. I have 2 old PC's, one with an i3 2100, an older one with Core 2 Quad and they both run Windows 10 just fine. If they can run modern Windows just fine, then they sure as hell can run any Linux disto even better because even the heaviest distro is still lighter on resources than Windows.
    Hard to argue for keeping it when a modern ~$100 i3 can reach double the performance of the 2600k. Definitely past it's time for modern gaming use.

Comment

Originally posted by abu_shawarib View Post
      Hard to argue for keeping it when a modern ~$100 i3 can reach double the performance of the 2600k.
      Not cheap in every country, nor that price in every country.

Definitely past it's time for modern gaming use.
      Not everyone does gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post

10 years old hardware will behave horribly on current Linux anyway. It's utterly pointless.
        ROFL. The biggest selling point of Linux is that is runs on nearly every hardware as well as possible.

My last system was BIOS and the hardware would be 11 years old this year if I was still using it. It quit working and after numerous attempts to refurbish it I gave up and built my current system. When you replace the motherboard, CPUs, power supply, and ram and it still doesn't power on you give up and cut your losses...and I'm still using the SSD and HDDs from that box so I know it wasn't those.

I'd still be using that stuff if it didn't mysteriously quit working and I had been able to troubleshoot the issue. I was trying to hold out for AM5 and DDR5 systems this year/next year.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          ROFL. The biggest selling point of Linux is that is runs on nearly every hardware as well as possible.
          Linux, yes. Most mainstream distros, not so much. For once I'm certain my old Athlon 64 X2 crawled with its 1GB of RAM with Unity in 2010 when it was made default on Ubuntu, I quickly switched to Lubuntu. It was only a few years old at the time and "current" (back then) Linux was already terrible. But TBF, for my slightly high-end laptop from 2012 I can even get Windows 10 running, most likely GNOME can work as well (I always used XFCE, so I can't be certain).

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            If it was for me, I'd never deprecate BIOS support. It's just too valuable and nifty to have (e.g. for VMs).
            While I also think it is too early to deprecate BIOS, the change proposal authors did point out that those with the above viewpoint have not been turning up to support that position.

I saw this change proposal as always having a zero chance of succeeding, but as more of a cry "please, for the love of God, help us, we are drowning here!"

It seems I was the only one to hear that (and I dont really care about bios support)

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
              I saw this change proposal as always having a zero chance of succeeding, but as more of a cry "please, for the love of God, help us, we are drowning here!"

It seems I was the only one to hear that (and I dont really care about bios support)
              I see most proposals to drop something as that, but I lost all hope in most interested parties a long time ago. Demanding is much easier than doing.

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

Not cheap in every country, nor that price in every country.
                Argument still applies. You can find a newer used/hand me down computer that is dirt cheap yet outperforms.

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post
                Not everyone does gaming.
                Congrats for pointing that out Mr.Obvious, but that was not what the person who was the reply for was arguing.
                Last edited by abu_shawarib; 04 May 2022, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  Good, we don't need Planned obsolescence in Linux too!
                  Let's just keep the hardware from landfills as much as possible!
                  there are tons of linux distros that can replace fedora, no need for obsolescence drama.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post

10 years old hardware will behave horribly on current Linux anyway. It's utterly pointless.
                    Last time I checked an i7 3770K and Radeon HD 7970 runs circles around today's low-end systems with enthusiast price tags.

With CPU stagnation and chip shortage people need to support old hardware. Linux does this well so far. Windows 11 is an utter joke.

Comment

Argument still applies. You can find a newer used/hand me down computer that is dirt cheap yet outperforms.
                      No. You can't. You're still missing the reality of millions of people. In many countries no computer is cheap.

Comment

Working...
                      X