Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SteamOS 3.2 Beta Brings Improved Fan Control, Experimental Refresh Rate Switching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    "calling it a beta"? Huh? 3.2 is the beta. Stable branch is still 3.1.
    Just a tongue-in-cheek joke about being at what could be considered the third point release of the OS without a non-deck release. That's .0, .1, and now .2.

SteamOS has enough rough edges at the moment. It's pointless to waste development resources on random PCs while basics like non-English languages in desktop mode are not even working properly, yet.
    "SteamOS has" should be replaced with "Linux and KDE have". That ain't gonna change anytime soon. That's why I think Valve should just get on with it and de-deck and generic-ify SteamOS.

Does anyone else get an earwig of Holy Grail from the phrase get on with it?

Comment

Valve brought us PC gaming to Linux just look at all the investments in DXVK, RADV und Proton in the last 2-3 years, i think that is the biggest advance, not the Steam Deck Distro. I don´t even want it to be instalable on my normal desktop, there is no real reason, it´s a distro made especially for that device, with all it´s hardware buttons and hardware features.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacefish View Post
        Valve brought us PC gaming to Linux just look at all the investments in DXVK, RADV und Proton in the last 2-3 years, i think that is the biggest advance, not the Steam Deck Distro. I don´t even want it to be instalable on my normal desktop, there is no real reason, it´s a distro made especially for that device, with all it´s hardware buttons and hardware features.
        The distro itself is just Arch with a few Valve extras to make it even more gamer friendly. The part of SteamOS 3 that's Steam Deck optimized is the updated version of the Steam Client that the Deck uses. That's the part that may or may not work on desktops -- the Steam Client itself; not the OS. You can actually try the updated client right now from any distribution and you may or may not get lucky. I was unlucky.

And because I know some of y'all will be interested in this -- Some kind soul, bhaiest, put it all together and made an installer for desktops.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          "SteamOS has" should be replaced with "Linux and KDE have". That ain't gonna change anytime soon.
          You have no clue. Plasma on openSUSE does not have the same issue with translations and such.

Comment

Working...
          X