Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yocto 4.0 Released For Embedded/IoT Linux Software Stack

Phoronix: Yocto 4.0 Released For Embedded/IoT Linux Software Stack

The Linux Foundation based Yocto Project for making it easy to create Linux-based IoT/embedded operating system software builds is out today with Yocto 4.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

> The Linux Foundation based Yocto Project for making it easy to create Linux-based IoT/embedded operating system software builds is out today with Yocto 4.0.

That's funny. Nothing about Yocto is easy. Or convenient.
    Lack of support for transitive build deps in bitbake environment, problems with support of nativesdk and native packages in target packages..
    You are probably better off just using Gentoo Portage - one layer of SDK fewer. Google did the right choice with Chrome OS.
    Last edited by reavertm; 28 April 2022, 03:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post
      > The Linux Foundation based Yocto Project for making it easy to create Linux-based IoT/embedded operating system software builds is out today with Yocto 4.0.

That's funny. Nothing about Yocto is easy. Or convenient.
      Lack of support for transitive build deps in bitbake environment, problems with support of nativesdk and native packages in target packages..
      You are probably better off just using Gentoo Portage - one layer of SDK fewer. Google did the right choice with Chrome OS.
      This is highly subjective...
      But never understood the fascination for Yocto myself.
      Seems to me it was always more a buzzword fascination than anything else.
      I concur with the hassle aspect.

Comment

While Yocto isn't perfect, I find the setup to be a lot easier to keep track of than the alternatives (bootstrap, LFS or other builds). For our organisation it is much easier to keep track of modifications, patches and changes than with other tools.

Is it still a hassle? Yes, for sure.

Comment

Yocto + snapd is another world. Yocto works great and has lots of support but it has always missed a way for application delivery, people use docker containers to run their apps, however the level of "control" that snaps offer, which includes it's plugs/interfaces models makes it an unmatched solution in this space. The new Yocto release is great and I am really looking forward to using it in Production.

Comment

Working...
          X