Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Outlines How To Use Its Real-Time Kernel Beta - It Requires Ubuntu Advantage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Outlines How To Use Its Real-Time Kernel Beta - It Requires Ubuntu Advantage

Phoronix: Ubuntu Outlines How To Use Its Real-Time Kernel Beta - It Requires Ubuntu Advantage

With last week's release of the much anticipated Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, Canonical announced they would begin providing a real-time kernel flavor too for this Long Term Support release though that RT kernel is initially in beta form. Today they outlined more information on their real-time kernel beta and how to actually go about trying it out...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Of freaking course...

What's so wrong with community beta-testing?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Of freaking course...

What's so wrong with community beta-testing?
      whats the problem with ubuntu service since is free?

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

whats the problem with ubuntu service since is free?
        Doesn't the article detail that the free plan does not provide the real-time kernel?

Comment

Doesn't the article detail that the free plan does not provide the real-time kernel?
          I'm confused since the Ubuntu blog post itself said that it's available on Ubuntu Advantage for Infrastructure, which is free to use on up to 3 machines on a single account.

Comment

It's a service, i'm fine with it costing money. They have to make revenue somehow, not everything can be free...

Comment

Erm...

There is the free tier to Ubuntu Advantage available for what is Canonical's Linux enterprise subscription plan for Ubuntu with extended security maintenance, kernel livepatching support, Landscape support, and other offerings. And now, Ubuntu RT kernel access too.
              HTH.

Comment

If the kernel implementing the real time is superior, why doesn't Ubuntu apply it as default?

Comment

If a distribution offered those features with packages as new as Arch/Fedora/Tumbleweed I'd be willing to pay up to $20 a year.

The only problem with Real Time Patches is you have to use CFS with them. If you have a spiffy BMQ or Cacule or Whatever Scheduler setup, it's heavily suggested to go back to CFS else there may be dragons. I'm rocking BMQ myself.

Do they not have a marketing person? Ubuntu Advantage sounds like doggy flea treatment. The ticks and bugs have adapted to Advantix, you gotta get the Ubuntu Advantage if you want to fight them off this year.

Comment

Originally posted by jorgepl View Post
                    It's a service, i'm fine with it costing money. They have to make revenue somehow, not everything can be free...
                    Ain't that the truth.

Went on a bid yesterday. This lady in a nice house with a nice car with two kids in college wanted her fence repaired and had already bought a $50 roll of cheap fabric from Lowe's to try to keep the cost down. Told her $400 and that was too much for her. There's about $150 of non-labor overhead on my end (fuel, welding wire, concrete, misc materials, landfill fees, and posts). Went down to $300 which means the two of us would be making about $75 for the job assuming there were no hidden expenditures. That's bottom dollar. I cannot go any lower.

That's when she started trying to tear down the fence and asked how much that would take off the bid. Well, it doesn't. Told her that I can't go any lower, that she needs to call another company, and I left.

I mean, her tearing down some fabric barely hanging on broken fence doesn't load it into my truck, haul it off to the dump, or pay the dump fees. I still take it from A to B whether it's on the fence or on the ground, the effort and work does not change. Heck, what was effort to her, taking the fabric off, could have been done by me in one quick motion because it was that dilapidated and falling apart.

Comment

Working...
                    X