Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Disables 3D Acceleration For Guest VMs With GNOME Boxes / Virt-Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

No, I do blame developers for poor documentation. Yes it's hard. Yes it's tedious and time consuming. But it's even more part of the job of being a developer than writing the code. If people want people to "RTFM" then the first step is to have a functional and accurate manual to begin with. Linux sucks at this. Hands down. No, code does not document itself.

The BSDs have this part of the developer and user experience exactly right because the developers realize it's part of their job to contribute towards documentation as they write code.
    The Linux fan in me want to argue this so much, but then realizes I can only agree.

I love Linux and do not want to go back to windows, but for a breakthrough some sharp edges need to be dealt with.
    Its been a while when I started with computers. There was no windows yet, so starting a program meant typing DOS or UNIX commando's.

When I try to explain stuff to less technical people, it always reminds me of how much I have learned.
    Easy for me is not easy for most people on computers.
    I see a lot of Linux devs, who also seem to have forgotten, how hard is can be for somebody starting with virtualization for example.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
      Do you have some examples of what those more complicated things are that virt-manager doesn't support? I often hear about QEMU having extra features/benefits to use directly instead of through libvirt (which I'm aware can lag behind sometimes), but I'm not aware of any list of such differences.
      uh sure. off the top of my head, egl-headless, audio backend choice, (IE. jack audio). as well as some more advanced configs for things like usb devices, virtio devices etc.

Comment

Adding the feature before one week, disabling it after release because it's broken, reverting Wayland for NVIDIA on last minute..

I understand software is bound to have bugs, but whatever happened to software freezes, test weeks, beta versions..

Comment

Originally posted by Vermilion View Post
          Adding the feature before one week, disabling it after release because it's broken, reverting Wayland for NVIDIA on last minute..

I understand software is bound to have bugs, but whatever happened to software freezes, test weeks, beta versions..
          why do that when you can just throw everything out last minute, whatever slips through... oh well, users can file a bug report I guess LOL.

but yeah, it seems like a lot of projects this is happening to

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

i'd love to see those numbers. vbox is always far worse for me personally. the fact that it can't use kvm is a big blow to vbox preformance.
            VirtualBox have supported the KVM interface for quite a while (not that it matters since VirtualBox uses the exact same CPU support as KVM does, aka Intel VT / AMD-V, so there is zero difference in CPU speed between running a guest in VirtualBox vs KVM.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

VirtualBox have supported the KVM interface for quite a while (not that it matters since VirtualBox uses the exact same CPU support as KVM does, aka Intel VT / AMD-V, so there is zero difference in CPU speed between running a guest in VirtualBox vs KVM.
              I understand the confustion, but no. this is enlightenments givent to the guest. VBOX's dogcrap naming scheme you can see here. https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch...l#gimproviders

Comment

Last time I used VirtualBox for virtualizing Windows 8.1 with GPU acceleration it was unstable. I even managed to completely crash virtual machine multiple times. It worked fine without GPU acceleration so I switched to virt-manager. It also was more stable in Windows 10 guest so I guess that they didn't pay very much attention to Windows 8.x but I wanted to use it because I had spare license. I don't know if they fixed that but since I don't really need accelerated Windows guest now then I don't bother checking because virt-manager works fine for me.

Comment

I have two question:
                  - Which program let me use the GPU (only one gpu in my pc, an Intel UHD one) acceleration for dxd9 games (after installed windows)?
                  - Which program let me install native windows drivers (at least for usb devices) and get working devices?
                  Last edited by nist; 25 April 2022, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nist View Post
                    I have two question:
                    - Which program let me use the GPU (only one gpu in my pc, an Intel UHD one) acceleration for dxd9 games (after installed windows)?
                    - Which program let me install native windows drivers (at least for usb devices) and get working devices?
                    qemu can likely do both since you have intel UHD.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

No, I do blame developers for poor documentation. Yes it's hard. Yes it's tedious and time consuming. But it's even more part of the job of being a developer than writing the code. If people want people to "RTFM" then the first step is to have a functional and accurate manual to begin with. Linux sucks at this. Hands down. No, code does not document itself.

The BSDs have this part of the developer and user experience exactly right because the developers realize it's part of their job to contribute towards documentation as they write code.
                      100% this. Even if documentation is not read by everyone, very often as part of writing documentation, bugs are uncovered.

Comment

Working...
                      X