Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Disables 3D Acceleration For Guest VMs With GNOME Boxes / Virt-Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leinad View Post
    I tried virt-manager a few months ago after reading, how Virtualbox "is bad". It was eye opening experience to actually find, how much Virtualbox is better than this broken thing.
    You must be doing something really wrong if you think virtualbox even comes close to virt-manager or that virt-manager is somehow broken. I've been using for all sorts of stuff including GPU passthrough with a single GPU and running VMs for testing work-related stuff and I've never had a single issue. I've had more problems with USB passthrough on virtualbox than with virt-manager entirely but that was on windows years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

If someone's a moron or lazy then nobody will help. 'I want to cure people, but I don't want to learn medicine'. 'I want to operate atomic power plant, but I won't learn physics'. Some people better stay at their level. P.S. Everything works fine on Fedora, but as usual Ubuntu is broken.
      I've been using GNU/Linux for 20+ years. This ideology is the biggest hurdle that it has to become a popular. Proprietary vendor/distro lock-in like CUDA or Snap are close second.

It's not about being low IQ or lazy, people simply don't have the time or interest to study manuals or Wiki pages. I personally don't mind because I am a technical person. That said, sometimes the man pages and wikis are hit and miss. QEMU's man pages or readthedocs are not the best IMO and I don't blame the devs for it, it's not easy to write and maintain it.

In QEMU's case I would argue it's easier to write an user friendly UI than to maintain the technical docs that covers the entire QEMU in detail.

Comment

So, the next Ubuntu LTs disables all what was stated would have been enabled. Why does Ubuntu not disable itself?
        Last edited by Azrael5; 24 April 2022, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

If you're clueless how to use kvm then slow virtualbox is indeed for you.
          Noob here, doesn't Virtualbox have the option to use kvm?

Comment

I tried to use virt-manager once, but I could not get used to it. I am still launching my VMs with handcrafted QEMU commands.

Comment

Originally posted by ireri View Post

Yes. I believe it also the default. I have never noticed that it is explicitly slow. The graphics acceleration sucks as it has limited acceleration but the systems are near metal otherwise. I’d switch to using qemu if it had a launcher similar to virtualbox’s. I tried libvirt-manager and didn’t like it. that it was a system daemon was also annoying.

Comment

more ubuntu shenanigans I see

no. the KVM option they have is an enlightenment they provide to the guests to help speed things up a bit, but it does not use the hosts kvm to accelerate the VM. virtual box has poor GPU accel, but at least it has some windows accel I guess (if it even still works lol) and poor cpu preformance because of this.

I generally reccomend either qemu of vmware for vms. it's a shame that qemu has no dedicated UI projects on linux, none that are maintained anyway. libvirt does an ok job, but it misses out on a lot of the juice that qemu can give.

virt-manager and gnome-boxes are probably good enough for most people, but I still find myself writing launch scripts myself every now and then since I do some more complicated stuff than virt-manager allows. (python GUI alludes me so I won't be contributing any patches sadly LOL)

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                  I generally reccomend either qemu of vmware for vms. it's a shame that qemu has no dedicated UI projects on linux, none that are maintained anyway. libvirt does an ok job, but it misses out on a lot of the juice that qemu can give.
                  VMware Workstation is even worse than VirtualBox, if you use it much. It has a long standing bug even after several years, that it frequently causes the kernel to get stuck in kcompactd at 100% usage even when the system still has over 40GB+ Available memory left. Which slows the whole system down so much you can easily type faster than it can display.

VMware ESXi likely does not have this problem though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
                    In QEMU's case I would argue it's easier to write an user friendly UI than to maintain the technical docs that covers the entire QEMU in detail.
                    There's Gnome Boxes which is probably easier than VirtualBox and it uses KVM. It works fine with Fedora, but as mentioned in the article Ubuntu is broken (as usual).

There's also an option to go for BSD elitism and use bhyve.

Comment

It seems it has:

• Support for Nested Virtualization: This release adds support for nested virtualization on certain hardware platforms that enables you to install a hypervisor, such as Oracle VM VirtualBox, Oracle VM Server or KVM, on an Oracle VM VirtualBox guest. You can then create and run virtual machines in the guest VM.Support for nested virtualization allows VirtualBox to create a more flexible and sophisticated development and testing environment.

Comment

Working...
                      X