Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Disables 3D Acceleration For Guest VMs With GNOME Boxes / Virt-Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Disables 3D Acceleration For Guest VMs With GNOME Boxes / Virt-Manager

Phoronix: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Disables 3D Acceleration For Guest VMs With GNOME Boxes / Virt-Manager

In addition to Ubuntu 22.04 switching back NVIDIA to using X11 by default rather than Wayland as a launch-day change, separately, there was another rather notable last minute change affecting 3D support for virtual machines... Those with Ubuntu 22.04 hosts and launching Ubuntu 22.04 desktop VMs will find 3D acceleration disabled by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I tried virt-manager a few months ago after reading, how Virtualbox "is bad". It was eye opening experience to actually find, how much Virtualbox is better than this broken thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Leinad View Post
      I tried virt-manager a few months ago after reading, how Virtualbox "is bad". It was eye opening experience to actually find, how much Virtualbox is better than this broken thing.
      If you're clueless how to use kvm then slow virtualbox is indeed for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

If you're clueless how to use kvm then slow virtualbox is indeed for you.
        That is such a characteristically "Linux elitist" thing to say.

"I have work to get done. I don't have time to become a hobbyist-expert in the tools I use." "Then you don't deserve to have good tools."

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

"I have work to get done. I don't have time to become a hobbyist-expert in the tools I use." "Then you don't deserve to have good tools."
          If someone's a moron or lazy then nobody will help. 'I want to cure people, but I don't want to learn medicine'. 'I want to operate atomic power plant, but I won't learn physics'. Some people better stay at their level. P.S. Everything works fine on Fedora, but as usual Ubuntu is broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Leinad View Post
            Try GNOME-boxes as a simple frontend for virsh. I've set it up via telephone for and with my mother (she was in need of Windows if someone wants to know). VirtualBox actually was impossible, even to install itself because of no flatpak available and everything else just being to hard to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Each has their use cases, and it has nothing to do with being " elitist "

Virtualbox is slow but somewhat easier to use, qemu under virt-manager has a very small learning curve but offers tons of features and top notch performance. Anyone who can use virtualbox can use virt-manager without fail.

Comment

Side question. I have been using QEMU command line for many years. Why everyone is using virt-manager? Is being user-friendly the only reason? I honestly cannot think of any advantage of adding this middle layer between QEMU and myself.

Comment

Originally posted by mantide View Post
                  Side question. I have been using QEMU command line for many years. Why everyone is using virt-manager? Is being user-friendly the only reason? I honestly cannot think of any advantage of adding this middle layer between QEMU and myself.
                  i prefer virsh because of multiple frontends (eg cockpit, cmdline and virt-manager)
                  i used qemu in the past though

Comment

Impact
                    ------
                    If you use virt-manager or gnome-boxes from a 22.04 host to install a 22.04 VM, the VM tries to use Wayland by default and only shows a black screen.
                    You don't say!

Comment

Working...
                    X