Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Changes Default For NVIDIA Driver Back To Using X.Org Rather Than Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
    Most machines running nvidia cards for CUDA are headless servers in compute farms.

Why should ROCm or oneapi be added? Where should they be added that you're talking about? They have no bearing on wayland support. They're compute APIs.

Distributions are adopting Wayland and putting in place automation for it are the same thing. What did you think bringing up support for something new looked like?

If feature parity were important nothing would ever be adopted. It only needs to work well enough in 99% percent of cases. The rest gets smoothed out later. That's why distros have been pushing for the switch. If they wait until everything's perfect it will never happen. See HURD.
    That is incorrect, many Linux based desktop workstations are used for CUDA for visual research or content creation. The mention of ROCm/OneAPI is in regard to how the other companies will take market share from Nvidia. ~1% of the gaming community won’t assist with that. Examples of CUDA used would be in Matlab/Blender. I’m sure there are a ton of other examples.

The two missing protocols I linked are massive deal breakers for both content creators and vision research. Which again as I mentioned is important for an enterprise distribution like Ubuntu LTS/EL/SUSE enterprise. As a gamer I wouldn’t even consider these anyway since mesa drivers are always behind unless you use a third party repository. You’re better off so the a rolling release like openSUSE Tumbleweed. As a system administrator I’m forced to continue rolling out x11 in my automated puppet modules since my users won’t be able to complete their work using wayland even when using an AMD or Intel GPU.

Comment

• Originally posted by WannaBeOCer View Post

That is incorrect, many Linux based desktop workstations are used for CUDA for visual research or content creation. The mention of ROCm/OneAPI is in regard to how the other companies will take market share from Nvidia. ~1% of the gaming community won’t assist with that. Examples of CUDA used would be in Matlab/Blender. I’m sure there are a ton of other examples.

The two missing protocols I linked are massive deal breakers for both content creators and vision research. Which again as I mentioned is important for an enterprise distribution like Ubuntu LTS/EL/SUSE enterprise. As a gamer I wouldn’t even consider these anyway since mesa drivers are always behind unless you use a third party repository. You’re better off so the a rolling release like openSUSE Tumbleweed. As a system administrator I’m forced to continue rolling out x11 in my automated puppet modules since my users won’t be able to complete their work using wayland even when using an AMD or Intel GPU.
      So then what is your actual point? That nobody should use anything but nvidia cards?

It would be damn good for all those people who just *have* to use them if nvidia would get their act together and rejoin the rest of the world on wayland. After all, the overwhelming majority of people are on AMD+intel and running wayland on the new release. They're going to be the first group developers think to support.

Comment

So then what is your actual point? That nobody should use anything but nvidia cards?

It would be damn good for all those people who just *have* to use them if nvidia would get their act together and rejoin the rest of the world on wayland. After all, the overwhelming majority of people are on AMD+intel and running wayland on the new release. They're going to be the first group developers think to support.
        My point was in that post you quoted but somehow you came up with some foreign one to attack nvidia again.

Comment

Wayland has already replaced X11 on the majority of user's desktops. Today. AMD and intel combined make up far more marketshare than just nvidia and they're happily using wayland as the default

The rest of your logic falls apart from there.

Nvidia is the only one asking for a last-minute exception on literally the very last day.
          This is blatantly false:

Comment

• Originally posted by birdie View Post
            Try again. That's among gamers, a *tiny* percentage of linux users.

The real breakdown?
            intel: 67% (iGPUs for the win)
            nvidia: 18%
            amd: 15%

Comment

• Originally posted by WannaBeOCer View Post

My point was in that post you quoted but somehow you came up with some foreign one to attack nvidia again.
              Yeah, whatever.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
                Nvidia, fix your damn driver.
                I don't think there's a 'fix' possible in their current framework. I just don't think there's a way for NVIDIA to have their cake and eat it too with this. They're always going to be weird and out-of-date with this strategy. The only good solution I see for them is to have at least one viable option working on the tried-and-true path that AMD and Intel are on.

Funny thing is that all they'd need to do is put out an open-source Vulkan MESA driver with no implied support. Zink will get users OpenGL on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by mangeek View Post

I don't think there's a 'fix' possible in their current framework. I just don't think there's a way for NVIDIA to have their cake and eat it too with this. They're always going to be weird and out-of-date with this strategy. The only good solution I see for them is to have at least one viable option working on the tried-and-true path that AMD and Intel are on.

Funny thing is that all they'd need to do is put out an open-source Vulkan MESA driver with no implied support. Zink will get users OpenGL on it.
                  It's not the driver, it's the signed firmware needed to run it. Without the ability to raise the card's clock speed above rock-bottom there's been no point in anyone seriously working on nouveau.

Comment

• Originally posted by evasb View Post
                    Maybe it's too radical, but GNOME should drop X11 sessions soon if they want NVIDIA with their backs against the wall.
                    I find it very childish how entitled the Linux and OSS communities are regarding proprietary software and tools.

You want to call the shots - find developers, pay them, build your own great hardware and software then talk.

Comment

• Originally posted by xhustler View Post
                      I find it very childish how entitled the Linux and OSS communities are regarding proprietary software and tools.
                      Being a "customer" is an entitlement class.

Unless you have $800 dollar PCI-E paperweights........ ?

A video card isn't just a piece of hardware. It needs a driver to work. We are Linux users, and we expect the card to work when we plug it in. And it isn't a blind expectation that we made up because it feels good. Nvidia promises working Linux support. Their problem is that the Linux world has left X.org behind and all we have left now is Wayland. X.org has been declared abandonware by all of its former developers. Those distros that have X.org, yes, it's still fully functional but it's unmaintained abandonware.

There are no x.org developers left for X11.

Comment

Working...
                      X