Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Changes Default For NVIDIA Driver Back To Using X.Org Rather Than Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by xhustler View Post
    Then use their product the way the manufacturer intended - with X11.
    But Nvidia explicitly confirmed that Wayland is supported and should work. That was the big feature of the driver in the 495 series.(and going forward) Read the release notes on Nvidia.com. Support for GBM is the very first line item.

So I think I'll use their product the way the manufacturer intended - with Wayland.

Wait. Why isn't this working?
    Last edited by ezst036; 25 April 2022, 10:51 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
      Really, funny how my X11 on Leap keeps getting updated ?
      That's fine. So a part-timer here or there and does small things. That is the beauty of open source.

Can you demonstrate who the new full time group (or even solo) owner is who has stepped up? Who is or who are the maintainers? I don't know of any and what you are pointing to are strongly indicative of one-offs.

Comment

• Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

That's fine. So a part-timer here or there and does small things. That is the beauty of open source.

Can you demonstrate who the new full time group (or even solo) owner is who has stepped up? Who is or who are the maintainers? I don't know of any and what you are pointing to are strongly indicative of one-offs.
        For those too stupid or too lazy to use Google, there you go.....

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/...commits/master

Still maintained, thus not abandoned.

If you are looking for further argument then you'll have to pay.
        Last edited by Slartifartblast; 25 April 2022, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by birdie View Post
          Stop putting crap into my years thank you very much.
          Didn't you say you wouldn't engage into any Wayland discussion anymore?

Well then, what's this?

Comment

Absolute most modern serious games require at the very least the GTX 1060 level of performance just for 1080p low settings and no one cares about your built-in GPUs, nor anyone takes them into account. Period. As for your desktop, web browsing, etc. built-in GPUs from a decade ago are more than enough.

Intel being on "top" of the GPU market is akin to walking being on top of the movement market. Yeah, you can walk. Good luck walking to your job from your home which is located 10 miles away or going on vacation.

Ryzen 6000 mobile CPUs with RDNA2 graphics are somewhat usable for 1080p but their market share doesn't exist at the moment.

Stop putting crap into my years thank you very much.
            Who gives a flying fuck about gamers? There's almost none of them in linux.

There are shitloads of intel and AMD iGPUs. When anyone with half a brain thinks about wayland support, that's who they're considering. They're the real users, not the tiny vocal minority of gamers. (hell, most linux gamers are now using an igpu too, thanks to the steam deck!)
            Last edited by Developer12; 26 April 2022, 01:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

For those too stupid or too lazy to use Google, there you go.....

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/...commits/master

Still maintained, thus not abandoned.

If you are looking for further argument then you'll have to pay.
              You seem to not really understand the meaning of "abandoned" here. "Abandoned" as in, no new features are going to be added. Will it still be maintained? Yes. Some companies have decade long support contract obligations to fulfill, after all. Does this mean XOrg has any kind of future? Not really, Xorg has about as much future as FORTRAN and COBOL. There is a reason modern apps are written in C#, Python and Golang.

As for the link you posted, over half the merges from the last 2 years are Wayland or XWayland related. Did you even look at the content?

Comment

• Originally posted by wertigon View Post

You seem to not really understand the meaning of "abandoned" here. "Abandoned" as in, no new features are going to be added. Will it still be maintained? Yes. Some companies have decade long support contract obligations to fulfill, after all. Does this mean XOrg has any kind of future? Not really, Xorg has about as much future as FORTRAN and COBOL. There is a reason modern apps are written in C#, Python and Golang.

As for the link you posted, over half the merges from the last 2 years are Wayland or XWayland related. Did you even look at the content?
                Cash up front then I'll argue.

Comment

• Originally posted by wertigon View Post

Fortran is pretty much alive, with its latest standard being less than 5 years old https://fortranwiki.org/fortran/show/Fortran+2018. Hopefully one day there will be a simpler and more prototyping friendly language which can match its speed. For the time being, only Julia is a suitable candidate, and it still has years and tons of applications to prove its worth before you can declare Fortran antique.

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Pounds of CO2 emitted per million British thermal units (Btu) of energy for various fuels
                  Coal (anthracite) 228.60
                  Coal (bituminous) 205.40
                  Coal (lignite) 216.24
                  Coal (subbituminous) 214.13
                  Diesel fuel and heating oil 163.45
                  Gasoline (without ethanol) 155.77
                  Propane 138.63
                  Natural gas 116.65
                  Basically, using gasoline and internal combustion engines is more environmental friendly than EVs and coal plants. And since it's basically established science that gasoline and internal combustion engines are bad for the environment, replacing them with EVs powered by coal that's 50-200% more dirty no matter how you fudge the numbers is clearly not the correct solution.

Using green vehicles without creating green energy first is like putting a fresh coat of paint over black mold spores. You didn't fix anything; you just hid the problem from view.
                  Even if those figures were true, that isn't how it works at all. Thermodynamic efficiency (and hence CO2 emissions) depend strongly on the working conditions. Hence even if burning X amount of fuel Y releases an amount Z of contaminating molecules, when comparing a car and a power plant you have to take working conditions into account. Here you have a 101 introduction of how to think about thermodynamic efficiency of engines: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnot_cycle.

Comment

Absolute most modern serious games require at the very least the GTX 1060 level of performance just for 1080p low settings and no one cares about your built-in GPUs, nor anyone takes them into account. Period. As for your desktop, web browsing, etc. built-in GPUs from a decade ago are more than enough.
                    Exactly.

Nobody is looking at gamers with the latest GPUs when deciding what basic desktop functionality is.

It's cool that you only care about "serious gamers", but when the topic is about Gnome, KDE, XFCE, or whatever other desktop then that's rather pointless, just like talking about Intel igpus on a gaming topic would be.

Those desktops are designed for use by the average non-gamer and their non-gamer hardware, and that's what they'll target.
                    Last edited by smitty3268; 25 April 2022, 09:12 PM.

Comment

• There is a reason modern apps are written in C#, Python and Golang
                      Interesting statement. In our industry it is C/C++ for most modern apps. Fortran is still used in our Energy Management system. Our vendor finally eliminated it for our current upgrade, so will be seeing it go away here. In my previous job though it was still highly used by the scientists and I bet still is. Python is used a lot now by our company. Use it for most everything that doesn't require critical timing or needs to be fast. Easy for the engineers, and computer programmers to maintain and use. C#? Not so much on either Linux or Windows. GoLang? Never used or heard of it being used (except by Google). Our IT department uses more VB than anything else which I intensely dislike but sometimes have to debug. Looking at one poll, Python is now #1, JavaScript #2, and Java number 3 (which surprised me as we don't use it around here). JavaScript drops to number 5 in IEEE poll ... All depends on the what your discipline is to how you rank language usage I suppose .
                      Last edited by rclark; 25 April 2022, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X