Fedora 37 Looks Like It Will Proceed With Plan To Remove Legacy X.Org Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
    it is like RedHat gets to control the whole direction of Linux development with no thoughts to smaller WMs and DEs. DEs like XFCE, WMs like Fluxbox, Icewm, DWM, Xmonad, JWM, Spectrwm, FVWM, etc are all good desktop environments and window managers!
    RedHat controls the direction of Linux development because they fund it and they do the actual development. It's as simple as that. RedHat is not stopping anyone from doing the hard work or spending substantial money. But apart from the actual Linux kernel, it's really RedHat, then the flagship projects funded by RedHat, some more niche applications catered for by Canonical or SUSE, then there are the main hardware vendors, and the rest is essentially hobby projects (with the notable exception of Debian). Now what exactly do the developers owe to projects like Fluxbox or i3? There is no automatic right for every random Joe to remain relevant, it's actually up to them to keep pace or perish.
    Last edited by jacob; 24 April 2022, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post
      One day every landfill in the USA will be renamed "Fedora Landfill No. x". Waiting for they day they announce the killing off of old developers, "Oh sure, he could probably write the whole kernel, but he just didn't understand 'go' well. So, we freed up a seat."
      Just the day after they rename it The Fedora USA, right? I still don't get why people think Fedora is so relevant to planned obsolescence when shit is open source and you can maintain distros with a focus on keeping hardware useful. Chill out and let go of the entitlement.

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

Just the day after they rename it The Fedora USA, right? I still don't get why people think Fedora is so relevant to planned obsolescence when shit is open source and you can maintain distros with a focus on keeping hardware useful. Chill out and let go of the entitlement.
        I was merely pointing out that Fedora isn't "thinking" too much, that's all.

Comment

I was merely pointing out that Fedora isn't "thinking" too much, that's all.
          What isn't Fedora thinking exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

What isn't Fedora thinking exactly?
            Users may have old hardware. In fact, a lot of Linux users have old hardware. Now, perhaps Fedora is trying to say "stay away" from Fedora in those cases. Just maybe a "new" direction. Which I guess is fine, but unexpected, at least to me.

Comment

Users may have old hardware. In fact, a lot of Linux users have old hardware.
              Of course. And I think it's paramount for that hardware to remain useful. Just not necessarily that it is Fedora's responsibility to ensure that.

Now, perhaps Fedora is trying to say "stay away" from Fedora in those cases. Just maybe a "new" direction. Which I guess is fine, but unexpected, at least to me.
              The following is, of course, subjective, but my take on Fedora is that at least for the last few years they've been relatively explicit about their focus being on testing new ideas rather than being useful for most cases. As such, it's reasonable for that aim to try and support things for a shorter time frame so that support doesn't take manpower from their main focus, which is moving fast. I always saw it as such and expect "final" distros to only take what proved to be worthy with a slower pace and with much longer term support.
              So, not only do I agree that's the message, but I expect so.

Comment

Working...
              X