No announcement yet.

Fedora 37 Looks Like It Will Proceed With Plan To Remove Legacy X.Org Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 37 Looks Like It Will Proceed With Plan To Remove Legacy X.Org Drivers

Phoronix: Fedora 37 Looks Like It Will Proceed With Plan To Remove Legacy X.Org Drivers

Laid out earlier this month was a change proposal for removing legacy X.Org drivers with the Fedora 37 release later this year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would like to get rid of X.Org Server entirely.
    To have the option of running GNOME with Wayland and XWayland only, or just with Wayland only, even without XWayland.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      To have the option of running GNOME with Wayland and XWayland only, or just with Wayland only, even without XWayland.
      You can deactivate Xwayland, and it would be nice if each Xorg process could get its own insulated Xwayland process so that X11 programs can not spy on each other too, at least optional because that comes with a memory penalty of course as Xorg is a fat boy. Though, for the time being, a warning when launching a Xorg session of any desktop should be enough.

Comment

Can't you already do that on your own system?

Comment

Originally posted by Henk717 View Post

Can't you already do that on your own system?
          No, it seems GNOME 42 still depends on XWayland and X.Org.

Comment

mutter already starts Xwayland only on demand. So if you don’t need it, it won’t run, it’ll just waste a bit of disk space.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post

mutter already starts Xwayland only on demand. So if you don’t need it, it won’t run, it’ll just waste a bit of disk space.
              I want to get rid of it totally, not only for disk space but also for security.

Comment

I want to get rid of it totally, not only for disk space but also for security.
                If OpenBSD which uses Xenocara for Xorg is in no hurry to get off X11 for security reasons, the OS that dropped Bluetooth support because of how insecure it is. What makes you think Wayland is the future. I've never once used Wayland and only used Gnome 3.x for one required VM in school. The coupling of RedHat + Wayland + Gnome 3 sickens me, it is like RedHat gets to control the whole direction of Linux development with no thoughts to smaller WMs and DEs. DEs like XFCE, WMs like Fluxbox, Icewm, DWM, Xmonad, JWM, Spectrwm, FVWM, etc are all good desktop environments and window managers!

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
                  The coupling of RedHat + Wayland + Gnome 3 sickens me, it is like RedHat gets to control the whole direction of Linux development with no thoughts to smaller WMs and DEs
                  Yadda yadda evil RedHat conspiracy yadda yadda...

*yawn*

I've never once used Wayland and only used Gnome 3.x for one required VM in school.
                  Is there any particular reason you're sharing this touching life story?

Comment

If OpenBSD which uses Xenocara for Xorg is in no hurry to get off X11 for security reasons, the OS that dropped Bluetooth support because of how insecure it is. What makes you think Wayland is the future. I've never once used Wayland and only used Gnome 3.x for one required VM in school. The coupling of RedHat + Wayland + Gnome 3 sickens me, it is like RedHat gets to control the whole direction of Linux development with no thoughts to smaller WMs and DEs. DEs like XFCE, WMs like Fluxbox, Icewm, DWM, Xmonad, JWM, Spectrwm, FVWM, etc are all good desktop environments and window managers!
                    OpenBSD uses Xenocara because there's no useful X replacement that works on OpenBSD. There was a long discussion about that years back. The decision was to try to mitigate the issues with Xorg (namely running as root SUID) with an OpenBSD specific fork. That fork is Xenocara. If there were a provably more secure option that maintained a backwards compatibility path for the massive software library on X than Xenocara that reliably works on OpenBSD they'd be looking at a migration path. Far as I know, the Wayland group isn't actively interested in other Unix-like ports being merged. And, it's not a given Wayland is either more reliable nor more secure than Xenocara. It's just not X, which isn't enough by itself.
                    Last edited by stormcrow; 22 April 2022, 10:11 AM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Working...
                    X