Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Eyes More Industrial Usage By Offering Up Real-Time Kernel Beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Eyes More Industrial Usage By Offering Up Real-Time Kernel Beta

Phoronix: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Eyes More Industrial Usage By Offering Up Real-Time Kernel Beta

One of the less talked about features with Ubuntu 22.04 LTS "Jammy Jellyfish" is Canonical offering up a "beta" of a real-time Linux kernel image for use with this long-term support release. In doing so, Canonical is expanding their aim for Ubuntu Linux within industrial and other use-cases demanding real-time needs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Real-time" kernel using Snaps.....kinda leaves one scratching there head.

Comment

Industrial....

What industrial! Industrial doesn't need soft real-time. It needs hard real-time, which is better done by other operating systems like FreeRTOS or VxWorks.

You completely forgot about us. The pro audio users.
      This announcement makes the distro's name more of a lie, as it just doesn't feel human anymore.
      Where did the "human-ness" go?

Comment

Originally posted by dekernel View Post
        Only if you don't understand what it means.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
          Only if you don't understand what it means.
          I understand the whole jumble of items there. So you don't see one that doesn't fit with the other? Interesting.

Comment

Cute. They found Debian's PREEMPT_RT Kernel =)

Comment

I understand the whole jumble of items there. So you don't see one that doesn't fit with the other? Interesting.
              No I don't. I know that you mean that snaps are slow to launch (particularly the first time) but that has nothing to do with realtime.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                Industrial....

What industrial! Industrial doesn't need soft real-time. It needs hard real-time, which is better done by other operating systems like FreeRTOS or VxWorks.

You completely forgot about us. The pro audio users.
                This announcement makes the distro's name more of a lie, as it just doesn't feel human anymore.
                Where did the "human-ness" go?
                What are you talking about? U ok? lol

Comment

Those two have no effect on each other. The kernel work on RT is completely separate from the userspace snap bullcrap. Nobody is going to be using snaps on a system with an RT workload and even if they did the snaps would have no effect on the processing of any RT threads. That's the whole point of the RT kernel work.

Comment

No yo don't considering that you are continuing down this path.

Comment

Working...
                    X