No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Now Available For Download

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been using Ubuntu LTS'es since 2008. Does the job for me (as for embedded systems programmer) and plays nicely with proprietary SDKs (which usually are tested for Ubuntu LTS'es only).

Actually I find discussions around Ubuntu more political than Canonical itself. It's always "Canonical bad because of decision we don't like". It's like sh**ing on Ubuntu is a "must" for every Linux enthusiast. These kinds of entitled posts always made me laugh...

Comment

Ubuntu 22.04 is using X11 for Nvidia, not Wayland.
      I could get it to use Wayland instead by adding a file:
      Code:
      cat /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-power-management.conf
      options nvidia NVreg_PreserveVideoMemoryAllocations=1
      Even suspend/resume then started to work which is amazing, but then when I tried running chrome I got this:
      Code:
      $ /opt/google/chrome/chrome
      MESA-LOADER: failed to retrieve device information
      MESA-LOADER: failed to open nvidia-drm: /usr/lib/dri/nvidia-drm_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: Permission denied (search paths /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri:\$${ORIGIN}/dri:/usr/lib/dri, suffix _dri)
      failed to load driver: nvidia-drm
      MESA-LOADER: failed to open kms_swrast: /usr/lib/dri/kms_swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: Permission denied (search paths /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri:\$${ORIGIN}/dri:/usr/lib/dri, suffix _dri)
      failed to load driver: kms_swrast
      MESA-LOADER: failed to open swrast: /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: Permission denied (search paths /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri:\$${ORIGIN}/dri:/usr/lib/dri, suffix _dri)
      failed to load swrast driver
      So I guess the endless Nvidia+Wayland saga continues.

Comment

Upgrading to Fedora 36 prerelease was less painful for me than to upgrade to 20.04 to 22.04. Now I am left with non working R environment which surprisingly works much better and flawless on Fedora 36 after the upgrade.

Comment

I downloaded ubuntu 22.04 and there is no flutter installer... weird.

Comment

Originally posted by henrik View Post
            Ubuntu 22.04 is using X11 for Nvidia, not Wayland.
            I could get it to use Wayland instead by adding a file:
            Code:
            cat /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-power-management.conf
            options nvidia NVreg_PreserveVideoMemoryAllocations=1
            Even suspend/resume then started to work which is amazing, but then when I tried running chrome I got this:
            Code:
            $ /opt/google/chrome/chrome
            MESA-LOADER: failed to retrieve device information
            MESA-LOADER: failed to open nvidia-drm: /usr/lib/dri/nvidia-drm_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: Permission denied (search paths /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri:\$${ORIGIN}/dri:/usr/lib/dri, suffix _dri)
            failed to load driver: nvidia-drm
            MESA-LOADER: failed to open kms_swrast: /usr/lib/dri/kms_swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: Permission denied (search paths /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri:\$${ORIGIN}/dri:/usr/lib/dri, suffix _dri)
            failed to load driver: kms_swrast
            MESA-LOADER: failed to open swrast: /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: Permission denied (search paths /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri:\$${ORIGIN}/dri:/usr/lib/dri, suffix _dri)
            failed to load swrast driver
            So I guess the endless Nvidia+Wayland saga continues.
            Thanks for the file hack as suspend and resume were not working for me. Chrome worked flawlessly for me.

Ubuntu 22.04 has been working flawlessly for me. I even use kernel 5.17 with linux-oem package.

Comment

Originally posted by vb_linux View Post

Thanks for the file hack as suspend and resume were not working for me. Chrome worked flawlessly for me.

Ubuntu 22.04 has been working flawlessly for me. I even use kernel 5.17 with linux-oem package.
              After a reboot I can now start Chrome and Brave OK too. I still get the printouts but they seem harmless.
              Update: It turns out that video playback in youtube on Brave/Chrome is very stuttery in Wayland so I changed desktop to X11. At least the suspend/resume seems to work still though.
              Last edited by henrik; 23 April 2022, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slithery View Post

Logs please?

The Arch install on my current system is 11 years old and has moved hardware several times. I've never once had pacman fail on me...
                Did you constantly keep up with updating or do those 11 years include periods of months without updating? I'm asking since such periods always caused problems when I was trying out rolling distributions on PCs which weren't my main rig. I have to add though that it was several years ago when I made that experience.

Comment

Originally posted by ping-wu View Post
                  Ubuntu sucks. Each Ubuntu upgrade sucks more. Morale is low. Too much internal politics, top management too obsessed with IPO that may or many not happen and is running this the once-ubiquitous distro into a pit hole. Have been using Debian-non-free 12 "bookworm" for a while (dual-booting 11 "bullseye" just in case).. No looking back.
                  Weird, feels better than ever here.

Comment

I don't understand why so many negative comments against Ubuntu.
                    It's now near a state of the art.

I like a lot this 22.04 and Gnome Shell 42, can become perfect with just some nice extensions.
                    i find it stable and with minor issues.

I come from the 21.10 upgraded from 2 previous versions. But this upgrade left me with at unstable state, with freeze during screen blank.
                    After a fresh install now is perfect.

Ubuntu has loto of advantages, expecially wide support from vendors and software producers. Drivers, software packages, are often for Ubuntu and Fedora, the main distros.

I use for work and play.

Comment

Kubuntu user here. I think this will be my last weeks on the distro. Update went alright with a few snags. Apparently there is an ongoing bug where some root windows won't recognize your password. Hopefully that gets sorted out soon because it's rather annoying. Plasma still crashes on Wayland. And snap. Oh my God snap. Firefox now takes more than 6 seconds to launch on my nvme, it's just unacceptable for the level of hardware I have. I have since replaced it with flatpak, which fixes the performance issues, but I'm still left with a broken FF theme and broken plasma integration. Even worse, I have noticed that some misc system packages have also been replaced with snaps, which is probably causing the OS to be more sluggish than usual. I have my sights on either Tumbleweed or EndeavourOS. Been using Kubuntu since 5.04 and stuck with it despite some ups and downs, but now I really think it's time to move one. I don't feel like fighting the OS to get things to how I like them. I left Windows for that same very reason.
                      Last edited by Melcar; 29 April 2022, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X