No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Now Available For Download

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good. I love LTS versions and I use them exclusively since 12.04. I think it was the year I decided I would no longer be a beta tester. Of course I will wait for 22.04.1 before I even try it. And Kubuntu because I like stable functional workflows and being a gnome user is even worse than being beta tester.

Comment

Originally posted by ping-wu View Post
      Ubuntu sucks. Each Ubuntu upgrade sucks more. Morale is low. Too much internal politics, top management too obsessed with IPO that may or many not happen and is running this the once-ubiquitous distro into a pit hole. Have been using Debian-non-free 12 "bookworm" for a while (dual-booting 11 "bullseye" just in case).. No looking back.
      I personally have switched to openSUSE Leap as a reliable non-rolling distro, and it's way better than Ubuntu.
      Doesn't break too often, and its package manager is leaps better.

Package dependency error?
      APT (Debian/Ubuntu): "held broken packages" and leaves system in broken state. Fixing it automatically sometimes triggers the uninstallation of the entire system.
      Pacman (Arch): Aborts installation/removal without breaking system. Nice
      ZYpp (SUSE): Asks you whether to install it anyway or cancel the operation. Nice.
      Last edited by tildearrow; 21 April 2022, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arizone View Post

please, elaborate
        Ubuntu snapped like a dry twig. The last decent release was 18.04, after that it all went steadily downhill. No real innovation, weird decisions like introducing mandatory snap-packagesand just a feeling that something is not right. So I switched and now am extremely happy with my Xfce on Debian testing.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I personally have switched to openSUSE Leap as a reliable non-rolling distro, and it's way better than Ubuntu.
          Have you tried their rolling Tumbleweed? I wonder how stable it is for casual use.

Comment

Originally posted by Sin2x View Post

Have you tried their rolling Tumbleweed? I wonder how stable it is for casual use.
            It's not my main driver, but I do experiment with it and sometimes spend an entire weekend using it just for casual stuff. It's very good and have not experienced problems. For "casual" use I think it ticks all boxes. Big negatives for me are really slow installation and the base package selection from their repos is not that great in terms of variety. Of course, with OBS and Flatpaks it does not really matter (unless you for some reason don't want to use those options).

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
              What changes? Is it better than the 5.17 kernels in rolling release distros?
              To be honest, probably not. Rolling distros have lots of cutting edge top notch stuff in them... statistically they are also more prone to user induced unintentional breakage. This is in no way a knock against rolling distros, they have their place and can be awesome, but like everything they have their "side affects".

I used to be a die hard Gentoo fanatic... until I needed things to not break... and not take several days to get working again when they did break.

So short answer, 22.04 has a lot of improvements over 21.04 and that's exciting!

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post

It's not my main driver, but I do experiment with it and sometimes spend an entire weekend using it just for casual stuff. It's very good and have not experienced problems. For "casual" use I think it ticks all boxes. Big negatives for me are really slow installation and the base package selection from their repos is not that great in terms of variety. Of course, with OBS and Flatpaks it does not really matter (unless you for some reason don't want to use those options).
                Thanks for the input. I'll have to give it a spin some day as packages in Tumbleweed are fresher than in Debian testing, but stability is a concern -- I don't want to tinker with the system from time to time like you have to with Arch.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                  This doesn't seem to be correct. Someone mentioned that the change was reverted, and I also don't see that in the release notes: https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/jammy...-notes/24668/1
                  • The default session for most systems that don’t have an Nvidia graphics card is now Wayland. If you need a non-Wayland session, you can choose the Ubuntu on Xorg session by clicking the gear button after selecting your name on the login screen.

Comment

For several years I bounced back and forth between Debian and Ubuntu on critical servers, but these days I'm pretty much settled on Ubuntu since it's the best way to get ZFS.
                    Last edited by Chugworth; 21 April 2022, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
                      And Kubuntu because I like stable functional workflows and being a gnome user is even worse than being beta tester.
                      As an ex-Kubuntu user I can't agree. There were always some problems while KDE worked fine everywhere else. It could be old Qt version shipped with Kubuntu. However, I switched to Gnome (generic, not Ubuntu mod) and really like it.

Comment

Working...
                      X