Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drakonas777
    replied
    I have been using Ubuntu LTS'es since 2008. Does the job for me (as for embedded systems programmer) and plays nicely with proprietary SDKs (which usually are tested for Ubuntu LTS'es only).

Actually I find discussions around Ubuntu more political than Canonical itself. It's always "Canonical bad because of decision we don't like". It's like sh**ing on Ubuntu is a "must" for every Linux enthusiast. These kinds of entitled posts always made me laugh...

Leave a comment:

• Vermilion
    replied
    During the Ubuntu 22.04 LTS press briefing, Mark Shuttleworth also indicated he is looking at a possible IPO for Canonical in 2023.
    I wonder what the implication of this would be on the long run. More cloud and server stuff for sure, but what about the desktop.. does it even generate revenue?

Leave a comment:

• Nth_man
    replied
    Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
    Good. I love LTS versions and I use them exclusively since 12.04. I think it was the year I decided I would no longer be a beta tester. Of course I will wait for 22.04.1 before I even try it. And Kubuntu because I like stable functional workflows and being a gnome user is even worse than being beta tester.
    Agreed. Kubuntu works for me in all my computers, it even has technical support available (even if I have never used it, though it's important that your boss knows that you can have support), huge amounts of software in case I need something, backports PPA, Kubuntu comes preinstalled in several laptops, etc.
    Last edited by Nth_man; 22 April 2022, 03:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied
    Originally posted by Slithery View Post
    Meh.
    My last Ubuntu version was 8.04 before I switched to Arch and never looked back.
    Likewise. I still download the latest Ubuntu version, as an additional back-up/system restore tool, just for the live usb, but other than that, i don't care about it.

Leave a comment:

• rclark
    replied
    I've been on KUbuntu for quite awhile now. When Mint (Cinnamon) didn't support the brand new Ryzen line back when, I moved to the latest Ubuntu which did support the new processor line. I'd been using LXDE as the DE on Ubuntu at first which I liked. Can't stand Gnome. But, I then decided to kick KDE's wheels again as KDE had been a favorite back before KDE 4.0. Anyway, I was impressed on how far they had progressed and stuck with it ever since. Once the 20.04 LTS version was released I just stayed on that for all my systems. For 'me' I can't complain as the systems have been very solid. I've got several laptops on KUbuntu, a server, and two desktops. Nary a problem that is worth speaking about. Ever have my dad (in his 80s) using KUbuntu on his laptop without a complaint. The only 'grumble' I had was the default menu, but then I found I could switch the default to the Application Menu and that dislike went away. I've not had a system fault in any of the systems. I am liking it.

I just upgraded my workstation from 20.04 to 22.04 last night. Leaving the other desktop alone for the time being. That went off without a hitch. I checked all my 'usual' applications and they ran fine. Tested the printers and they worked. Checked access to the network server and that was still there. VLC worked, sound worked, video in Firefox worked. No problems at this time. I'll wait awhile longer though before upgrading the other systems just on the safe side.

Only two things I found that I don't really care for with 22.04. Firefox went to a snap package. On my Ryzen 5900X workstation, it takes awhile for it to come up the first time. Once available for use it seems normal for use. But ironically there in no 'snap' in pulling up that application anymore! . Snaps aren't living up to the name! Even cached it seems slow when you invoke it again. The other thing is what is with these 'flat' black/white very ugly icons in some applications? When I brought up the new LibreOffice (nothing to do with Ubuntu) they have went away from the nice colored tool bar icons! Huh?? I saw that with notepad++ too in Windows at work (but I can change it back there). Whoever though those up should get a kick in the pants....

Anyway, the point is, I am satisfied with Ubuntu in general. Linux is linux after all. I found that bouncing between distros in the early days. I can run any of the apps I want. All development tools are all available at my finger tips from assembly to Rust as well as my favorite editors/ides. Even cobol/Fortran/ada is there if I want to get old school. I can spend more time working than fiddling. Suits me!

Also I use PI OS on the RPIs and that is Debian based. That has been solid too. Again Linux is Linux.
    Last edited by rclark; 21 April 2022, 09:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by Slithery View Post

Logs please?

The Arch install on my current system is 11 years old and has moved hardware several times. I've never once had pacman fail on me...
    Clarified.

Also, what I meant is that Pacman exits gracefully as soon as a dependency error is found when installing/removing a package, unlike APT which breaks the system when that happens.

Leave a comment:

• Slithery
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Package dependency error?
    Pacman (Arch): Fails immediately unless you pass -dd. Nice.
    Logs please?

The Arch install on my current system is 11 years old and has moved hardware several times. I've never once had pacman fail on me...

Leave a comment:

• Slithery
    replied
    Meh.
    My last Ubuntu version was 8.04 before I switched to Arch and never looked back.

Leave a comment:

• ms178
    replied
    I have also seen some weird issues with their installer as of late - especially when trying Kubuntu. I need to re-check if that is still an issue. Their old installer at least handled mdraid properly, something Calamares-based distros still lack in 2022 despite me filing a bug report about it four years ago.

Also I wonder why we haven't seen an x86-64-v3 spin yet (but that also applies to most other distros).

Leave a comment:

• Melcar
    replied
    Originally posted by Volta View Post

As an ex-Kubuntu user I can't agree. There were always some problems while KDE worked fine everywhere else. It could be old Qt version shipped with Kubuntu. However, I switched to Gnome (generic, not Ubuntu mod) and really like it.
    Yeah. KDE in Kubuntu always seems to have weird quirks that are not in other distros. Some get ironed out as a particular release matures but not always. I find it better to always use the Kubuntu backports ppa to get KDE fixes and updates, which makes the desktop far more usable and stable.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X