AlmaLinux 9 Beta Released For Testing As No-Cost RHEL9 Alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AlmaLinux 9 Beta Released For Testing As No-Cost RHEL9 Alternative

Phoronix: AlmaLinux 9 Beta Released For Testing As No-Cost RHEL9 Alternative

Following the RHEL 9.0 Beta from last November and CentOS Stream 9 for the bleeding-edge RHEL9, the AlmaLinux crew today announced their 9.0 beta milestone. AlmaLinux over the past year has proven itself capable as a popular, community-based RHEL alternative that started after Red Hat announced it would discontinue the no-cost CentOS Linux downstream...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Following the RHEL 9.0 Beta from last November...
    Just so folks are aware, the RHEL 9 Beta hasn't been a static one-off drop, and has been receiving updated content since the initial Beta availability cut from the work done in CentOS Stream 9. With the exception of December, at the beginning of each month new content ISOs and KVM images are released; we are currently on RHEL 9.0 Beta Update 5.

Some of the version numbers of things in the RHEL Beta docs need to be updated from the last time I looked, so good on the AlmaLinux team for presenting versions that appear to be based off of U5. For example:

- Go is actually at 1.17.7, not 1.16.6
    - Rust is on 1.58.1, not 1.54 (1.59.0 is building in Koji as I write this)
    - Clang/LLVM is 13.0.1, not 12.0.1
    - Podman is on v4.0.2 (currently), and not in a module stream anymore

It was valid info for the initial beta, but his should be cleaned up before the RHEL 9.0 GA.

Cheers,
    Mike

Comment

I'll be champing at the bit to upgrade my RHEL 8.5 Workstation when 9 stable comes out. Will probably have to wait some time for ZFS and NVidia blobs though. I hope RPM Fusion gets a chromium-freeworld package for RHEL 9, or that the Fedora build will run there (8.5 is too old w missing deps for it to work).

Comment

after Red Hat announced it would discontinue the no-cost CentOS Linux downstream
        There is a cost to everything, to someone. E.g. just because it's free to download, you're still spending e.g. your time on it (since you're not making use of RedHat support).

Comment

Originally posted by uxmkt View Post
          There is a cost to everything, to someone. E.g. just because it's free to download, you're still spending e.g. your time on it (since you're not making use of RedHat support).
          That might be true for enterprises, but Red Hat doesn't really make an effort to help you unless you have a of thousands and thousands licenses.
          Ask me how I know

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post

That might be true for enterprises, but Red Hat doesn't really make an effort to help you unless you have a of thousands and thousands licenses.
            Ask me how I know
            Redhat support can be weird. I had a Fedora issue with IPA fixed in under an hour of cutting the ticket. I have had clusters of subscribed RHEL servers with critical issues that we couldn't get them interested in at all. It really doesn't matter what company you are dealing with. Having support doesn't necessarily mean you have support.

Comment

And of course there is that other RHEL alternative called Rocky Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                Redhat support can be weird. I had a Fedora issue with IPA fixed in under an hour of cutting the ticket. I have had clusters of subscribed RHEL servers with critical issues that we couldn't get them interested in at all. It really doesn't matter what company you are dealing with. Having support doesn't necessarily mean you have support.
                Some of that has to do with getting the ticket routed to the right group, if it is misfiled initially, and often companies are running very ancient versions of RHEL that no longer get package updates.

I've seen cases in the past year or so where companies were still running RHL 7 from 2000, not RHEL 7, and wanting support for that.

Comment

Just use Fedora, works great.

Comment

Working...
                  X