Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Release Candidate Images For Last Minute Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

There's a flatpak version of Firefox ("flatpak search firefox"), but I don't know how to get the current web cache/cookies/passwords to be ported to the flatpak version because they don't share the same location.
    i dont think the passwords/bookmarks will be a problem for that because of firefox's own cloud system. it will sync whenever user login with their account but cookies and cache part might be a little problematic while migrating

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post

If someone knows how to remove snapd then It won't be difficult for him to replace firefox/snap with firefox/deb.
      No, as others have mentioned, it's not that simple. It's likely any PPAs offered may very well break other things given the environment. It's even easier to just use something other than Ubuntu. I've used it for years, but I've eliminated Ubuntu from my systems because snap is so awful at start up times, not just for Firefox. If anyone was interested, I'm using Mint which still uses debs, but I'll be looking at Pop or others using straight package manager packages, flatpaks, or appimages.

Comment

I am using the flatpak version of Firefox, because the snap was unbearably slow to startup. Flatpak is much faster and also gets updates.

Comment

> things seem to be looking quite nice

Lmao. Meanwhile everyone looking at Adwaitish themes are like "WTF?"

Comment

Switched to Debian Only thing missing is LXD.

Comment

I thought that the new installer was used since 21.04 STS - as with my installation of Ubuntu versions I had a really bad experience.
              22.10 STS was the same disaster so before trying 22.04 LTS I made a full backup of the system - and found the installer still crashing when
              just giving the disk device - when giving the install device (/ partition), it does not crash and it seems to use efi partition automatically - for many
              years this was managed differently. And both result in the same warning - but no word about the installer to crash under special circumstances.
              And why is there no option "don't configure now" so one can use the existing grub master to serve the new system and would also avoid
              any problem - as this can be done easily on CLI. And this is the normal way on workstations.
              Additionally the installer shows only the keyboard layout - no ~, | , <, >, etc. - and before said chaos release 21.04 STS one could even test
              the keyboard layout by typing. Berlin time became Germany time, the installer greets with "from CD" - with images above 4 GB ... cough.
              21.04 showed nothing on DiplayPort (maybe on HDMI - after disconnected the powered but switched off TV I got the signal on my main screen.
              All this things are huge regression introduced with 21.04 STS - and I not mention snap in detail here as it was pointed out before.
              It looks like stabilizing will need even longer than 22.04.1 - 20.04 LTS was no good release, but here they did everything wrong concerning
              the desktop.
              But maybe with 22.04 LTS one can use the Ubuntu mainline kernels from PPA again - as now the dependency mess they created is met.
              I filed a bug report for the installer - with report marked as invalid ... as it is not yet subiquity - but why ubiquity was trashed is not clear.
              Additionally I should make a support call for each problem of the same installer ... never seen such a mess before - with IBM, HP, and
              Sun this had been easier ... and the never reminded me to be polite after having insulted me as I envision on Ubuntu bug report.
              And being polite as these people are volunteers ... I thought Canonical has paid staff to look at least for the packages the support directly,
              but maybe the installer is no longer directly supported.
              So looking for a desktop manager by Canonical seems to be just words - the desktop of Ubuntu is rotten - and taking again an aged LTS kernel is just silly.
              I took more than half a year to be able to use may AMD Navi 10 to no longer cause problems with 20.04 LTS.
              Would be better to use always latest stable kernel and latest mesa ... but as they even ruined their PPA for their supported LTS releases on purpose ...
              there is nothing good to expect from them. And Firefox via snap ... what did they smoke to do this. It is not a smartphone - it is the desktop.
              So Debian is an alternative (or better - the source) I will look for this year for sure ... and after the mess I experienced with Ubuntu in the last years,
              Debian can only be user friendlier than that if the just kept the quality I saw when I mainly used Debian - so it should be much simpler.
              Would like to hear if other users have different experiences with installer/'HWE' - and if Kubuntu is quite different from GNOME flavour (which I would
              never use). But when KDE neon will emerge, it may be quite stable and maybe they will take care for the bad decisions Canonical made.
              And it looks that dropping libraries necessary for gaming and older programs was not a thought - but more the strategy to concentrate on IoT and ...
              Desktop seems to be a burdon which they can no longer handle - or it is just on purpose.

Comment

Does anyone know what's their logic behind removing firefox/deb package and forcing Snaps to their users?
                It seems to me that all the gain that Ubuntu is going to have is that people will be pissed off by slow startup times and will switch to other distros.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

Very excited for this release. Hopefully these two changes can finally fix the terrible multi-monitor Gnome performance with nVidia GPUs 🤞
                  Unfortunately, a last minute change to gdm3 disabled Wayland on Nvidia until the first stable update (think Feb 2023) of 22.04 LTS.

gdm3 (42.0-1ubuntu6) jammy; urgency=medium
                  * Fix Wayland no longer being available for everyone - Fix by adding a separate revert patch instead of trying to rebase the cherry-picked patches (LP: #1969243)
                  * Please note that Wayland is not currently available for systems using the Nvidia graphics drivers because those drivers don't properly handle suspend and resuming from suspend. It is intended for those drivers to be fixed in a future stable release update for Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. See bug 1968929
                  Last edited by howarth; 19 April 2022, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pkese View Post
                    Does anyone know what's their logic behind removing firefox/deb package and forcing Snaps to their users?
                    It seems to me that all the gain that Ubuntu is going to have is that people will be pissed off by slow startup times and will switch to other distros.
                    Because it is easier to support multiple versions of Ubuntu with a single release, since Firefox is pretty much updated every 4 weeks.
                    Ubuntu 21.10 is making the Firefox Snap app its default browser. A feature-freeze exception requests the Firefox Snap be seeded in the Ubuntu ISO image.

Comment

Originally posted by pkese View Post
                      For the same reason the Fedora is really pushing Flatpaks. Isolated, self-contained application... containers (idk what they technically call them) have a lot of really useful benefits over traditional packages. There's nothing wrong with the concept of snaps or flatpaks, the problem lies in the fact that neither of these specs are remotely stable or finished. Look at the msix packaging that Windows uses for it's Microsoft Store. It provides all of the same benefits that snap and flatpak are trying to provide, while also having none of the drawbacks because MS figured it's shit out in Windows 8 and fixed everything by Windows 10.

With snap and flatpak, we're having a Wayland situation where they're pushing it on us before it's fully developed, while simultaneously not making developing it their primary focus because it's usage is too low.

Comment

Working...
                      X