No announcement yet.

Debian To Consider Changing How It Treats Closed-Source Firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put the firmware in the ISO file and create a screen where the user can select to boot with or without those firmwares. One ISO, everybody is served.

Comment

5 ...

Hey, man you disrespecting me?
      Take him out, you gotta keep 'em separated

Comment

Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post

Even that isn't really true anymore, with vendors swapping out ICs willy nilly within the same product line and model number
        I didn't think of that for some reason.

If I'm not wrong, Debian allready has a non-free packaging section on their update servers that you can easyly activate. Therefor I see no problem in having non-free on the ISO and supply a checkbox early in the installer.

On the other hand, distros like Ubuntu allready are a Debian with integrated non-free in the ISO. Not shure if Debian would gain any users that way?

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
          5 ...

Hey, man you disrespecting me?
          Take him out, you gotta keep 'em separated
          Hey, man, you know I'm really okay
          The gun in my hand will tell you the same

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
            I didn't think of that for some reason.

If I'm not wrong, Debian allready has a non-free packaging section on their update servers that you can easyly activate. Therefor I see no problem in having non-free on the ISO and supply a checkbox early in the installer.

On the other hand, distros like Ubuntu allready are a Debian with integrated non-free in the ISO. Not shure if Debian would gain any users that way?
            Doing a move like this could gain back some of the users who want an easier experience but don't necessarily want Snaps.

Comment

I like option Uncategorized Groups

I'm personally going to be moving to LMDE from standard Linux Mint as I dislike the direction Ubuntu is being taken in by Canonical with snaps. Especially because it makes a mess for all the derivates to have to clean up.

Comment

Option number 5 that is. I didn't realize the hash key did anything.

Comment

Who is using vanilla Debian without non-free software?
                  There are already FSF-endorsed Debian derivatives for that audience. Debian itself is not endorsed by the FSF and, I suppose, is unlikely to be chosen by purists. Or are there any that do?

Don't overthink it, explain the problem during installation and offer firmware for affected hardware out of the box. And blame the hardware itself, but without psychological terrorism. It's not like anybody will care while installing Debian on a retail amd64 laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
                    The difference between closed hardware and closed software is, you can check the hardware once and then trust it. Software needs to be checked at every update.
                    No one forces you to update the device firmware, check it once and do not update. And you end up with the 1. solution from jabl
                    If this is more or less secure is a debatable topic.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonn View Post
                      No one forces you to update the device firmware, check it once and do not update. And you end up with the 1. solution from jabl
                      If this is more or less secure is a debatable topic.
                      Yeah, the whole point behind firmware is to update and correct hardwareproblems that would otherwise persist or need a replacement. And I'm all in for that, preferably open-source because at some point the hardware manufacturer will deprecate its product and not provide future fixes. Classic ROMs don't really work in todays complex computer systems, maybe only for super simple stuff like USB-memory. Even my mouse gets firmware updates ^_^

Comment

Working...
                      X