Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SUSE/openSUSE Developing "Adaptable Linux Platform" For Next-Gen SUSE Linux Enterprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUSE/openSUSE Developing "Adaptable Linux Platform" For Next-Gen SUSE Linux Enterprise

Phoronix: SUSE/openSUSE Developing "Adaptable Linux Platform" For Next-Gen SUSE Linux Enterprise

SUSE with the openSUSE community is embarking on the development of the "Adaptable Linux Platform" (ALP) as what will eventually be the successor to SUSE Linux Enterprise 15...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It sounds like an immutable desktop like Fedora Silverblue, Steam OS, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackN64 View Post
      Few details to understand ... but in my opinion that is the future of almost all distributions.

Comment

Host OS and container/VM based userland? I love VMs, but this just sounds like a hassle.

immutable filesystems in general I find to be a nightmare to work with unless your workload fits nicely into that container.

Comment

And 10 years from now, the current paradigm will be remarketed as "ultra flexibility to change the host on the fly" as opposed to immutable distributions...

Currently, OpenSuse 15.3 is my all time favourite, but if 16 has container based Userland, I'll switch to FreeBSD :/

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackN64 View Post
            They already have SLE Micro, MicroOS, etc.

Comment

Meanwhile Canonical will continue with their usual LTS paradigm established over a decade ago and still be far more successful.

Reason being that there is simply no enterprise/community split.

Comment

I really hope they don't completely move over to a rolling release methodology because if so, I might have to head over to the Ubuntu LTS which I REALLY don't want because openSUSE Leap has been great for me. I am not interested in getting the latest kernel and such on my workstation. I am paid to produce software for our customers, not debug components of an OS.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
                  Meanwhile Canonical will continue with their usual LTS paradigm established over a decade ago and still be far more successful.

Reason being that there is simply no enterprise/community split.
                  SUSE marketshare has always been much higher than Canonical and therefore continues to be more successful. Also, LTS vs non LTS is enterprise/community split with different branding, not that, it is a bad thing. Enterprises just have different priorities.

Comment

You can bet this will be something based on Micros OS for immutable base OS + FlatPak for consumer apps with maybe a dose of docker/podman containers for server software.

Comment

Working...
                    X