Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SUSE/openSUSE Developing "Adaptable Linux Platform" For Next-Gen SUSE Linux Enterprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MicroOS (immutable system + flatpaks) as the heart of SLES 16?

What does this mean for the future of TW as a full-fat distribution that acts as the feeder source for future SLES development?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
      MicroOS (immutable system + flatpaks) as the heart of SLES 16?

What does this mean for the future of TW as a full-fat distribution that acts as the feeder source for future SLES development?
      Tumbleweed will continue to be Tumbleweed, I don't think SLE-Leap will be a Micro OS, I have some doubts about it. I guess they have some different ideas, because I don't know if on the desktop side we are ready for a smooth transition like this. We just have to wait for more details ... but if they wanted SLE-Leap to be a MicroOS they just had to write it down, but they didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

Tumbleweed will continue to be Tumbleweed, I don't think SLE-Leap will be a Micro OS, I have some doubts about it. I guess they have some different ideas, because I don't know if on the desktop side we are ready for a smooth transition like this. We just have to wait for more details ... but if they wanted SLE-Leap to be a MicroOS they just had to write it down, but they didn't.
        Well, here are the further details we were expecting...
        https://www.reddit.com/r/openSUSE/co...ef_source=link
        ...and it ain't looking good for traditional Linux users that just want a simple flexible system installed from RPM packages.

Comment

Originally posted by sb56637 View Post

Well, here are the further details we were expecting...
          https://www.reddit.com/r/openSUSE/co...ef_source=link
          ...and it ain't looking good for traditional Linux users that just want a simple flexible system installed from RPM packages.
          Boh! I don't read anything new from that link. What is wrong with users? In reality, flatpaks are much more flexible than rpm or deb tangled up in hundreds of dependencies, old and vulnerable software. I'm always amazed how many users struggle to accept changes and criticize them even before they happen. Also, rpm packages can still be installed independently.

Comment

Working...
          X