No announcement yet.

Arch-Based EndeavourOS "Apollo" Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At work the fellow Linux guys make fun of me for preferring Chromebooks, I've never had an upgrade break anything on ChromeOS, even on the beta channel like i used with by old laptop, now I run stable on my current laptop and it is smooth as butter. A laptop custom built for Linux. Before that I ran FreeBSD and it had trivially simple upgrades.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

You said it like there were no dozens of problems in this broken POS. Oh, and forget about upgrades for older macos.
      I hope this gets read by who I'm quoting because I think the following will help reduce our e-waste:

There is a significant amount more minerals and gold in a ton of electronic waste vs mining the same amount. Off the top of my head it's in the range of 100 all the way up to 1000 times the value!!!

So check this out: https://osxdaily.com/2021/01/15/inst...supported-mac/

OSX Catalina and a version or two before that seemed like you just patch in some drivers and you're good--now this website equates the task with having a hackintosh. There goes that idea.

Apple has a lot of technical knowledge and money. I mean you don't have to buy a new machine--but they do seem to force these hardware / software upgrades, so that you DO have to buy a new machine and this to me is a horrendous path for our environment. They could do so much more to help older mac computers work--it's their design and they know EVERYTHING there is to know about ALL of the machines they sell.

Other than monetary addiction and fascination, there's no reason for Apple to force hardware changes on their users and stopping support for perfectly performant devices. I admire Mac OS because it's Unix-based) but I guess that's all it has going for it.

I really don't like Windows (and 11 is just not necessary to me) but at least I can try running windows 10 on an old clunker over a decade old hardware.

Side note: If you want a smartphone that runs something other than android or iOS then get a Sony!

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post

And what would you recommend with KDE for a newbie? (Definitely not a ubuntu derivative, fuck snap-crap). Personally I use Manjaro and I'm thinking about switching to Arch.
        openSUSE. Even Tumbleweed can be upgraded months after the latest update and still run rock solid. But Leap is good too for those who want the ultimate stability. Either flavor (Tumbleweed or Leap) is easy to use for newbies and KDE is a first-class citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

openSUSE. Even Tumbleweed can be upgraded months after the latest update and still run rock solid. But Leap is good too for those who want the ultimate stability. Either flavor (Tumbleweed or Leap) is easy to use for newbies and KDE is a first-class citizen.

I second this. Tumbleweed is really good and would use it over something like Manjaro, as it tends to get updates faster and not have the pitfalls of using an Arch distro. The only fault I see with the distro is base software selection not being the best. The AUR takes the cake there, unless you are willing to go the ppa/OBS way (or just compile things on your own).

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post

I second this. Tumbleweed is really good and would use it over something like Manjaro, as it tends to get updates faster and not have the pitfalls of using an Arch distro. The only fault I see with the distro is base software selection not being the best. The AUR takes the cake there, unless you are willing to go the ppa/OBS way (or just compile things on your own).
            Yeah, AUR is great, that's for sure! That's the only slight con of openSUSE. But we were talking about newbies. I wouldn't recommend AUR to newbies anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Yeah, AUR is great, that's for sure! That's the only slight con of openSUSE. But we were talking about newbies. I wouldn't recommend AUR to newbies anyway.
              I don't think i've ever had an issue with an AUR package outside of my own doing aside from pipewire full git personally, and I do use quite a number of them

Comment

yay

but I rather the larger curated repo of Debian over the free-for-all of AUR/PPA/etc

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I don't think i've ever had an issue with an AUR package outside of my own doing aside from pipewire full git personally, and I do use quite a number of them
                  If one knows what he/she is doing then the AUR posses little to no danger, but for users that are just getting acquainted with Linux (or careless users in general) it can easily lead to a broken system. Then again, so can PPAs and stuff from OBS.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                    If one knows what he/she is doing then the AUR posses little to no danger, but for users that are just getting acquainted with Linux (or careless users in general) it can easily lead to a broken system. Then again, so can PPAs and stuff from OBS.
                    Bit like reading the PKGBUILD to make sure there's nothing nasty hiding.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post

And what would you recommend with KDE for a newbie?
                      I wouldn't recommend KDE Plasma for a newbie to beginn with and for a distro clearly Fedora as it's the perfect mix of stability, fresh software and working half-automatic (on shutdown) update mechanism.

Comment

Working...
                      X