No announcement yet.

Arch-Based EndeavourOS "Apollo" Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These opinions about Manjaro and stuff needing more attention than apt or yum seem like they come from either people who heard that story once but never used it, or people that literally break everything.

I’ve been using manjaro on at least one machine for over 3 years and never had to give package management a single thought. Meanwhile i still can’t get Amazon’s vpn client to work cause if libssl problems on every debian/ Ubuntu version

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
      Good luck trying to make Arch Linux package management "easy". There will always be those occasional scenarios that require manual intervention and there's no fixing it.
      At least it isn't like APT (which totally breaks the system state the moment you hit a dependency error).

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
        Good luck trying to make Arch Linux package management "easy". There will always be those occasional scenarios that require manual intervention and there's no fixing it.
        It happens so rarely that you can go a year or two sometimes before having to do it. And as long as you're capable of reading you usually get a notice while upgrading. I've had worse experiences on Windows coincidentally

Comment

Firewalld I find to be way to overzealous by default. I often find myself out right disabling it at times when I use it but even without that the only arch based distro that has been any decent when I have tried it has been garuda. RebornOS and Manjaro are dogcrap. endeavorOS is ok, it's not the worst, but it still has annoyances. IMO vanilla arch or garuda are the best ways to get in.

Comment

Originally posted by tebruno99 View Post
            These opinions about Manjaro and stuff needing more attention than apt or yum seem like they come from either people who heard that story once but never used it, or people that literally break everything.

I’ve been using manjaro on at least one machine for over 3 years and never had to give package management a single thought. Meanwhile i still can’t get Amazon’s vpn client to work cause if libssl problems on every debian/ Ubuntu version
            I hated manjaro the second they decided to take steps to intentionally break AUR packages. grub-customizer was working fine for a lot of people, manjaro did an update which broke things, then blamed grub-customizer. so instead of trying to fix the issue, they take steps to prevent users from installing it, then when possible work arounds got discussed on the forum, they closed the thread. I think the idea that manjaro needs more attention is true, because you never know when they will decide to intentionally break things

Comment

I'm still using Antergos, the predecessor to endeavour.. So pretty much a straight up Arch. It's still chugging along, to the point I haven't felt the need to reinstall. About packages breaking stuff, I'd say it has been an average of once per year that has happened, probably less. And when it does, the fix is usually to wait for a day and then update again, when someone fixed whatever was broken.

Still, as I don't really need bleeding edge updates, I'm thinking about trying Manjaro next. Trading a bit of the speedy updates for stability seems like a good deal to me.

Comment

I recently switched from Manjaro to EndeavourOS, and I don't regret it. Yes, Manjaro's console has some comfort features by default which I would like to see on EndeavourOS, too. But apart from some other small things, e.g. a missing F2FS option in the installer, I really like the clean look. With Manjaro, I had too much trouble while using a x86-64-v3-repo and AUR packages. It is just not as compatible to Arch as I would like it to be. And I haven't seen these issues with Endeavour yet.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

You just described every package manager for every distribution.
                  Maybe that's the case with crappy distro like popos. I NEVER had to manually fix something on well maintained distro like fedora.

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

At least it isn't like APT (which totally breaks the system state the moment you hit a dependency error).
                  Popos folks sure want to pin down the blame on apt. But don't get it twisted. It was all popos's fault on horribly managing dependencies.

Comment

I've had issues with (almost) every package manager. I've had Manjaro break terminally twice, Arch once (for what that's worth) and apt dependency hell three or four times (usually revolving around nVidia and CUDA). Whether good or lucky the only time I haven't been able to fix it was Manjaro on a laptop I'd not used for something like a year, where the solution was reinstall. I'm using Arch on production machines at work, and honestly I have less grief than I did with the CentOS boxes (which are still there, I just refuse to fix them when they break). To be fair, what breaks CentOS isn't RPM - it's usually nVidia...

Only package manager I can't say I've ever had issues with is portage/emerge... although that is probably luck/lack of exposure. And I don't have any nVidia-based Gentoo systems.

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                    I recently switched from Manjaro to EndeavourOS, and I don't regret it. Yes, Manjaro's console has some comfort features by default which I would like to see on EndeavourOS, too.
                    Zsh + OhMyZsh! + Powerlevel10k + zsh-syntax-highlighting + zsh-autosuggestions

Oh, and set the terminal font to MesloNF (downloadable from p10k github page).

Further customisation available. Just need git installed and a few minutes to manually add the two zsh-* plugins. The above combo is part of my default install for new systems now.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

This is why the first thing I install on any Debian-derivative is “aptitude”.

“apt upgrade” breaks something?

just “aptitude full-upgrade full-resolver” that beastie and BOOM issues (usually) resolved.

Comment

Working...
                      X