No announcement yet.

Fedora 37 Considering Removal Of Legacy X.Org Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks like Fedora 37 will be the most disruptive release in years in terms of hardware support. I currently use relatively new hardware for Fedora but it's a bummer I can no longer recommend it to friends looking to "revive" their old computers with Linux. For me, as someone who are not involved, this looks like a negative change.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      A few years ago I tried to run Fedora on a PC with 64MB of RAM. It couldn't even boot into text mode as systemd crashed: "Not enough RAM".
      That sucks but.. my Pentium PC from 1995 had 32 MB of EDO RAM. I think I managed to upgrade the RAM on my Pentium III to 384 MB (PC-100/133 or so) in 2001. That was over 20 years ago. So I think those systems limited to 64 MB of RAM must be from mid to late 1990s. Totally irrelevant these days.

You know.. I tried to sell my old 2nd gen i7 with 16 GB of DDR3. Nobody wanted to pay more than $50 so I just decided to donate the mobo + cpu + memory. IIRC even that mobo supported up to 32 GB of RAM. Even that system would be now ~10 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuchs View Post
        I assume "This change will identify the remaining configurations that can reach these drivers" will be done as throughout and carefully as they did with the efifb and other traditional framebuffer drivers in Fedora 36, where nvidia users are now left without working VTs. And then yell at nvidia for their own fault. At least other distributions discussing this do care more about their users than politics and wait until all drivers are ready for this change.
        Tell those nvidia morons to Open Source their broken POS drivers or shut up. Why users of proper Linux drivers should suffer from nvidia's broken and unsupported POS? How long have we been waiting for Wayland support in nvidia blob?
        Last edited by Volta; 10 April 2022, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Tell those nvidia morons to Open Source their broken POS drivers or shut up. Why users of proper Linux drivers should suffer from nvidia's broken and unsupported POS? How long have we been waiting for Wayland support in nvidia blob?
          Of course when Fedora switches to a configuration that nvidia says they do not support, with zero gain for end users, and other distributions manage to not do that simply by keeping the working configuration around, the fault is nvidias. Perfectly sound logic.

I mean, tell the FOSS ideologists to write drivers that can compare performance wise, both for graphics and GPU accelerated computing, then maybe people would not have to rely on nvidia products simply because they are better.

Aren't you the troll from nvforum where you were criticizing X for nvidia having crappy 2D performance?
          Given I am neither active in nvforum nor unhappy with nvidia performance nor trolling: nope.

Comment

Of course when Fedora switches to a configuration that nvidia says they do not support, with zero gain for end users, and other distributions manage to not do that simply by keeping the working configuration around, the fault is nvidias. Perfectly sound logic.
            The default Fedora configuration has been wayland for a while now. Now apply any logic you like.

I mean, tell the FOSS ideologists to write drivers that can compare performance wise, both for graphics and GPU accelerated computing, then maybe people would not have to rely on nvidia products simply because they are better.
            Are they?
            Our exascale supercomputers work sans Nvidia but maybe you can enlighten us?

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
              The default Fedora configuration has been wayland for a while now. Now apply any logic you like.
              The configuration complained about is not directly related to Wayland, is about the removal of efifb from the kernel configuration and is only there since fedora 36.

Originally posted by mppix View Post
              Are they?
              Our exascale supercomputers work sans Nvidia but maybe you can enlighten us?
              And plenty of other computers for specific use cases do not. I'm afraid that neither you nor your, quote, exascale supercomputers, are the one and only thing in existance, and people might rely on other stuff than you do. But I guess given you lack even the reading capability to understand what configuration is the one I was about it's asking for quite a lot for you to understand that, apologies.

Comment

Originally posted by rmnscnce View Post
                It looks like Fedora 37 will be the most disruptive release in years in terms of hardware support. I currently use relatively new hardware for Fedora but it's a bummer I can no longer recommend it to friends looking to "revive" their old computers with Linux. For me, as someone who are not involved, this looks like a negative change.
                If you don't mind the political roots, I heard very nice things in terms of reviving old computers with Antix Linux. Just to point an alternative.

Comment

Next time they'll consider buying hardware supported properly under Linux.

AMD Open Source drivers washes floor with nvidia blob, so try again.

Given I am neither active in nvforum nor unhappy with nvidia performance nor trolling: nope.
                  Yes, you're the one NVFuchs. You were defending nvidia miserable 2D performance and blaming Xorg for this. The truth was your driver was POS and nothing changed since.

Comment

Next time they'll consider buying hardware supported properly under Linux.
                    Oh, it is perfectly fine supported under Linux. Just not fedora. Unless you boot an older kernel, or compile your own. Other distributions that have sane kernel configs work perfectly fine.

AMD Open Source drivers washes floor with nvidia blob, so try again.
                    In what respect? I mean, benchmarks heavily disagree, so you must be having something else in mind?

Yes, you're the one NVFuchs. You were defending nvidia miserable 2D performance and blaming Xorg for this. The truth was your driver was POS and nothing changed since.
                    I guess in a magical world where benchmarks are wrong and you are right, you also know better who I am and who am I not than I do. *shrug*

Comment

Oh, it is perfectly fine supported under Linux. Just not fedora. Unless you boot an older kernel, or compile your own. Other distributions that have sane kernel configs work perfectly fine.

In what respect? I mean, benchmarks heavily disagree, so you must be having something else in mind?

I guess in a magical world where benchmarks are wrong and you are right, you also know better who I am and who am I not than I do. *shrug*
                      Please dismiss everything Volta says - he's one of the heaviest Linux zealots here. He either insults or talks BS.

Comment

Working...
                      X