Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi OS Adds Experimental Wayland Support

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi OS Adds Experimental Wayland Support

The Raspberry Pi Foundation on Thursday introduced an updated version of its Raspberry Pi OS operating system derived from Debian Bullseye...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very exciting. Looking forward to trying this.
    Wayland is steadily getting there.

Comment

pracedru not really. for how old it is...it really isn't getting anywhere by now

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
        pracedru not really. for how old it is...it really isn't getting anywhere by now
        X11 is 37 Years old and still can't sync a single frame to the screen refresh rate.
        With its 7 years since the Wayland Protocol got out of draft, hard to consider it old and guess what, it does the basics right since day one, things like being able to schedule frames.

Comment

Alexmitter according to wiki "Initial release 30 September 2008"

Comment

Curious to see if there's any perf bump between 5.10 and 5.15 kernel on 64-bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

X11 is 37 Years old and still can't sync a single frame to the screen refresh rate.
              With its 7 years since the Wayland Protocol got out of draft, hard to consider it old and guess what, it does the basics right since day one, things like being able to schedule frames.
              I prefer tearing to the desktop running at 30 fps. I might be willing to run Wayland, Gnome etc. if it supports tearing. I also want the terminal to drop frames if it's scrolling too fast for the GPU to keep up. (Windows 10 pipes every character to the GPU, then let you watch in task manager how the intel GPU is bogged down while you wait for things to scroll. it's amazing.)

If I buy a 4K 144Hz or a 1080p 240Hz I'll want the option of tearing because I want the Hz I paid for.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
                Alexmitter according to wiki "Initial release 30 September 2008"
                If by wiki, you mean wikipedia, it is probably referring to the initial announcement. It didn't have a release associated with that.

"This is the first real release of Wayland and Weston"

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

If by wiki, you mean wikipedia, it is probably referring to the initial announcement. It didn't have a release associated with that.

"This is the first real release of Wayland and Weston"
                  Sure, but 2012 is still older than the 7 years Alexmitter claimed. 7 years ago would be 2015.

Comment

I tried wayland with the previous Debian 10 based version, and it worked. I didn't try everything, but I never installed XWayland. Then, I tried to switch to the PiOS Debian 11 based version but for the not implemented hdmi_pixel_encoding=2 option I switched back to the previous PiOS.

Comment

Working...
                    X