Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora Makes Progress On Radeon ROCm Packages, But Still Needs To Land OpenCL / HIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
    After the main Fedora maintainer called out on nVidia for all the headaches their driver supposedly is causing, shouldn't he be doing the same here?

Just asking... *shrug*
    I'm pretty sure they would if they were forced to care enough about this to package it.

The reality is no one cares enough about rocm to worry about how bad it is, and so no one complains about having to deal with it because they simply don't.

You can't ignore OpenGL/Vulkan acceleration from NVidia that way, because it's more important.

Leave a comment:

• Linuxxx
    replied
    Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

At risk of talking from a point of bias, nVidia's driver is much more headache inducing than anything ROCm has given me. ROCm just needs some refinement, and I am only one person, with limited time. If it wasn't clear, I am only doing this on my free time.
    Good to see you around here!

A question:

I understand that AMD aims to implement GPU-accelerated rendering into the upcoming Blender 3.2 release for Linux.

Now, is my Radeon R9 380 (GCN Gen3 - GFX8 - Tonga V2) going to be supported for this?

Note I'm running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS based distributions, so I'm not inquiring about the packaging problems you face on Fedora, since AMD seems to support such a setup with official packages.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    After the main Fedora maintainer called out on nVidia for all the headaches their driver supposedly is causing, shouldn't he be doing the same here?

Just asking... *shrug*
    What is the connection between the two? AMD provides an open source driver for Linux, Nvidia doesn't, that's the point! The open source nouveau driver is actually reverse engineering with a lot of problems, especially on recent cards and Nvidia doesn't seem interested in helping nouveau devs. This is why with Nvidia you are often forced to use proprietary drivers, which are often a big headache. This is why Fedora maintainer has asked Nvidia a little more for cooperation, not least because Nvidia is the only one left to offer only a proprietary driver to its Linux users.

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied

Just asking... *shrug*
    This is the evidence of the opposite. One in the Fedora Project leader talking about the difficulties of working with a proprietary driver. The other shows evidence of a AMD person using his own personal time even to work on improvements he wants openly which is impossible for a Nvidia employee to do. All drivers have issues. For Intel and AMD, we are not dependent on solely the vendor to add features or fix bugs. That's the difference from the distribution perspective.

Leave a comment:

• Mystro256
    replied

Just asking... *shrug*
    At risk of talking from a point of bias, nVidia's driver is much more headache inducing than anything ROCm has given me. ROCm just needs some refinement, and I am only one person, with limited time. If it wasn't clear, I am only doing this on my free time.

Leave a comment:

• Mystro256
    replied
    I see Michael is monitoring the Fedora devel list.

With that said, the issues aren't too bad, I just can't maintain all of the ROCm packages myself, and would like feedback from some seasoned developers.

Leave a comment:

• boboviz
    replied
    Rocm implementation is ONLY on Fedora Server and ONLY without gui?? Rocm is ONLY for HPC.

Leave a comment:

• Linuxxx
    replied

Just asking... *shrug*

Leave a comment:

• Fedora Makes Progress On Radeon ROCm Packages, But Still Needs To Land OpenCL / HIP

Phoronix: Fedora Makes Progress On Radeon ROCm Packages, But Still Needs To Land OpenCL / HIP

Last year Fedora developers and users were discussing the packaging of ROCm components to make it easier to deploy this Radeon open-source GPU compute stack. Five months later, some of the Radeon Open eCosystem components have made it into Fedora for easier installation but the HIP and OpenCL front-ends to ROCm haven't yet been successfully packaged...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X