Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora Workstation Brainstorming A Possible GUI-Based Linux Recovery Environment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alem View Post
    If the OS can do a restore on its own, why we need a human intervention?
    Human intervention is critical because a choice can be say to wipe out user data by restoring a system snapshot. This is not something an OS can determine to be ok on its own.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Yeah, that is tricky to use, I had to Google on my phone, and then read forum posts and try bunch of different commands with bunch of different options. Tricky!
      I wish this GUI tool had something easy to use that did all this for me with the press of a button.
      Out of curiosity, what was the network card? The first two revisions of the I-225V NIC had a PITA hardware bug where it would go to sleep and refuse to wake up.

I guess I'm too old to really understand how scary some people find a command line. I mean, I didn't have a computer until Windows 95, but spent enough time wanting to play DOS games, writing my own boot disks to free up as much of that precious 640K as possible that I got fairly handy with DOS fairly quickly.

I think manufacturers/developers catering to the lowest common denominator hasn't helped - regardless of your technical savvy, beyond a few basic things to try with a lot of modern hardware (e.g.: tablets) if the soft reset then hard reset don't work... you're basically FUBAR.

Comment

those manufacturers/developera aren't catering to the lowest common denominator... they are catering to DRM requirements from paranoid studios like Warners, which including shipping the OS with a locked bootloader... if this wasn't the case, the non-locked bootloader would help nin-savvy users recover their bricked devices through a recovery GUI instead of preventing recovery when a FOTA upgrade fails to apply cleanly on their smartphone

Comment

I understand why it would be better to not have to type commands, especially for situations that are not supposed to happen frequently. But I don't understand why it has to be graphical. What's wrong with ncurses-based UIs? It would have a wider applicability (botched graphics drivers, serial console). And will probably be much smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by kobblestown View Post
            I understand why it would be better to not have to type commands, especially for situations that are not supposed to happen frequently. But I don't understand why it has to be graphical. What's wrong with ncurses-based UIs? It would have a wider applicability (botched graphics drivers, serial console). And will probably be much smaller.
            how do you type "pile of poop emoji" with cli ?
            next your gonna want them to take out systemd

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Human intervention is critical because a choice can be say to wipe out user data by restoring a system snapshot. This is not something an OS can determine to be ok on its own.
              Sure, but user data locations are know, especially for non tech user. Moreover, how a non expert user can know if a certain application have stored files outside his home?

Comment

Originally posted by kobblestown View Post
                As somebody said in this thread

> Apple is the gold standard

So, if Apple doesn't use ncurses, why Fedora must use them? ☺

Perhaps they just want to write a new GUI app to develop, debug and maintain. I'm waiting for recovery app for the recovery app.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

"ip a" will show you if you have an ip address
                  "ethtool" will show you if you have a connection on the cable.
                  Won't 'ip link' show you if you have a connection?

I didn't have ethtool installed by default on my system, whereas ip is a bit fundamental.

I just checked: pulled the Ethernet cable out of my system, and did ip link

Code:
                  $ ip link
                  1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
                  link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
                  2: enp1s0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
                  put cable back in:
                  Code:
                  $ ip link
                  1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
                  link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
                  2: enp1s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
                  link/ether 50:7b:9d:__:__:__ brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

ethtool executed on its own will give you an error: you are required to provide a device name, whereas ip specified without a device shows all devices.

Last edited by Old Grouch; 05 April 2022, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post

Out of curiosity, what was the network card? The first two revisions of the I-225V NIC had a PITA hardware bug where it would go to sleep and refuse to wake up.

I guess I'm too old to really understand how scary some people find a command line. I mean, I didn't have a computer until Windows 95, but spent enough time wanting to play DOS games, writing my own boot disks to free up as much of that precious 640K as possible that I got fairly handy with DOS fairly quickly.

I think manufacturers/developers catering to the lowest common denominator hasn't helped - regardless of your technical savvy, beyond a few basic things to try with a lot of modern hardware (e.g.: tablets) if the soft reset then hard reset don't work... you're basically FUBAR.
                    It was a Intel I217-V.

I am not all that scared of the terminal, its just that I had to Google and try a bunch of different commands with a bunch of different options, I would really have appreciated it if there was a graphical tool that did it all for me with the click of a button.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      It was a Intel I217-V.
                      Interesting. Thanks for entertaining my curiosity!

Comment

Working...
                      X