X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by mantide View Post
    I am on this beta right now. And it feels unbelievably responsive. Not sure what's the reason but everything is so fast. Never experienced this before. Granted Gnome crashed way too often at this moment but it recovered almost instantly, definitely recovered in less than 1 sec. I am using a high refresh rate monitor and I play competitive FPS games. This feeling is awesome! It's almost smoother than Windows 11 but I cannot say that for sure.
    A side question, has anyone successfully running 4k 160hz with default amdgpu driver? The max setting I can achieve is 144hz on 6700 xt.
    I would assume because its using Wayland by default. Wayland is way snappier and more responsive then X11 at least with Intel/AMD hardware.

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied
    Originally posted by jabl View Post

Well, maybe. But yes, I do understand the logic of not doing a potentially disruptive change in an LTS release. Better to do it in a non-LTS release and let it mature for a while before including it in a LTS. Still, the little child in me that wants the latest and shiniest toys is disappointed.

OTOH I'm perfectly fine with the choice of the 5.15 LTS kernel. Once 22.10 rolls around there will be HWE kernels for those 22.04 LTS users that need newer kernels for driver support anyway.
    If you want the latest and shiniest, then maybe Fedora is the right distro for you. Ubuntu has always been somewhat more conservative, giving priority to broader hardware support and usability.

Leave a comment:

• openminded
    replied
    Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
    I know it's less efficient, but would it not be possible to install Ubuntu Server or vanilla Ubuntu with the ZFS adjustments desired, then apt kubuntu-desktop?
    Ha, that's what I'm going to do btw, I think I had enough of Gnome on my machine - now even tinkering with it is PITA with such font hinting.

Leave a comment:

• Paradigm Shifter
    replied
    Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
    is kubuntu in beta as well? does it allows for an effortless zfs installation (the same way ubuntu does)?
    I know it's less efficient, but would it not be possible to install Ubuntu Server or vanilla Ubuntu with the ZFS adjustments desired, then apt kubuntu-desktop?

Leave a comment:

• er888kh
    replied
    Originally posted by openminded View Post

Is it me or there's something terribly wrong with fonts in GTK4 apps? They look awful on FHD displays. No matter if app is flatpak or not, some parts are just blurry as hell. Take Extensions, for example. Fedora, Ubuntu.
    Yeah, there seems to be a problem. I tested fedora 36 beta today (using live on bare metal, didn't install) and it looked blurry AF. I don't have this problem at all with Arch (daily driver), Manjaro or Ubuntu 22.04 beta (both live).

Leave a comment:

• Linuxxx
    replied
    Originally posted by mantide View Post
    I am on this beta right now. And it feels unbelievably responsive. Not sure what's the reason but everything is so fast. Never experienced this before. Granted Gnome crashed way too often at this moment but it recovered almost instantly, definitely recovered in less than 1 sec. I am using a high refresh rate monitor and I play competitive FPS games. This feeling is awesome! It's almost smoother than Windows 11 but I cannot say that for sure.
    A side question, has anyone successfully running 4k 160hz with default amdgpu driver? The max setting I can achieve is 144hz on 6700 xt.
    Just in case you want to make sure that your Ubuntu install definitely beats Windows 11 in the smoothness department:

Either install the "lowlatency" Linux kernel flavor or add preempt=full to the kernel parameters in GRUB.

Both options will turn your Linux kernel into a soft real-time one, which ultimately boils down to giving user-space apps (e.g. games) a faster response time than Ubuntu's default "generic" flavor with just preempt=voluntary.

Leave a comment:

• Linuxxx
    replied
    Originally posted by hax0r View Post
    I went back and installed Ubuntu 16.04.7 LTS on my i7-2600K, Unity7, HUD, global menus, fonts, and compiz are so comfy. I'm on GTX 680 so reclocking with nouveau works out of the box on 4.15 kernel with "echo 0f > /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/pstate" and everything feels fluid and snappy thanks to compiz.
    Telling the same story multiple times still doesn't change the fact that you are running an EOL-OS, unless you paid for Ubuntu's extended support, which I very much doubt (by pressing X).
    [Though come to think of it, I maybe once could have read that said extended support can be obtained for free for certain individuals that meet certain requirements;
    you might want to check on that...]

Leave a comment:

• mantide
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Linuxxx
    replied
    Originally posted by openminded View Post

Is it me or there's something terribly wrong with fonts in GTK4 apps? They look awful on FHD displays. No matter if app is flatpak or not, some parts are just blurry as hell. Take Extensions, for example. Fedora, Ubuntu.
    AFAIK, GNOME copied their great role-model there (Apple), i.e. just getting rid of sub-pixel hinting altogether, because if Apple is doing it, then it can't be bad or wrong.

Leave a comment:

• hax0r
    replied
    I went back and installed Ubuntu 16.04.7 LTS on my i7-2600K, Unity7, HUD, global menus, fonts, and compiz are so comfy. I'm on GTX 680 so reclocking with nouveau works out of the box on 4.15 kernel with "echo 0f > /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/pstate" and everything feels fluid and snappy thanks to compiz.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X