X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F.Ultra
    replied
    Originally posted by ZarathustraDK View Post
    Do ordinary people still use Ubuntu? It's been awhile since I last used it. Got the impression that they kind of departed from "Linux for human beings" and went all server/IoT/cloud to pay the bills. Got the impression most folks nowadays go something like PopOS, Fedora or Arch(-derivative), then again I'm gaming-focused so that may have something to do with it.
    It's easy to get that impression since the non-Ubuntu users are a very loud crowd here. The truth however is that Ubuntu is by far the most used distribution among users including gamers (the latest Steam Survey have Ubuntu at the first place at 0.22% of all Steam users, the second one is Arch with 0.13%).

Leave a comment:

• Steffo
    replied
    Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
    I know but its about Ubuntu - Mantid the user I'was responding to is not mentioning that he is on Fedora.
    Ubuntu 21.04 is also using Wayland by default. Maybe it's the new tripple buffering feature what makes Gnome more responsive.

Leave a comment:

• szymon_g
    replied
    Originally posted by kobblestown View Post

This has always worked for me. I usually install Server and only then a desktop environment.
    doesn't ubuntu server come with some (unnecessary for desktop) packages installed by default? i know one can remove them via apt, but it does seem like a PITa (or maybe i'm just lazy). what's the easiest way to install the **complete kubuntu** and which packages didn't make to the 'stripped' version of it (like you can chose during the installation)?

Leave a comment:

• ZarathustraDK
    replied
    Do ordinary people still use Ubuntu? It's been awhile since I last used it. Got the impression that they kind of departed from "Linux for human beings" and went all server/IoT/cloud to pay the bills. Got the impression most folks nowadays go something like PopOS, Fedora or Arch(-derivative), then again I'm gaming-focused so that may have something to do with it.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by Steffo View Post

Fedora is using Wayland by default for years for Intel and AMD graphic cards. The only thing what is new in Fedora 36, is they enable Wayland also for NVIDIA users by default.
    I know but its about Ubuntu - Mantid the user I'was responding to is not mentioning that he is on Fedora.
    Besides I'm also using Wayland since years on Ubuntu/PopOS quite easy to switch. But I would assume he just tried out the default Ubuntu setting.

Leave a comment:

• Steffo
    replied
    Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

I would assume because its using Wayland by default. Wayland is way snappier and more responsive then X11 at least with Intel/AMD hardware.
    Fedora is using Wayland by default for years for Intel and AMD graphic cards. The only thing what is new in Fedora 36, is they enable Wayland also for NVIDIA users by default.

Leave a comment:

• kobblestown
    replied
    Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
    I know it's less efficient, but would it not be possible to install Ubuntu Server or vanilla Ubuntu with the ZFS adjustments desired, then apt kubuntu-desktop?
    This has always worked for me. I usually install Server and only then a desktop environment.

Leave a comment:

• L_A_G
    replied
    Originally posted by jabl View Post
    Slightly disappointing that they went with Pulseaudio as default rather than Pipewise, but otherwise, looking forward to it.
    Making big changes like that isn't something you do in an LTS release. They're very much "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" types of releases.

The regular releases that make up 3/4 of Canonical's bi-annual Ubuntu release output is where you make these changes and fix the myriad issues that inevitably corp up. People who use them know to expect that there may be the occasional "jank" when sweeping changes are made while people who use LTS releases do so expecting to avoid those issues.

On my own personal machines I mix LTS releases with newer mainline kernels so I'm probably shooting myself in the foot sabotaging the "LTS:nees" of those LTS releases, but it's worked out without any real issues for years.

Leave a comment:

• Drago
    replied
    Originally posted by hax0r View Post
    I went back and installed Ubuntu 16.04.7 LTS on my i7-2600K, Unity7, HUD, global menus, fonts, and compiz are so comfy. I'm on GTX 680 so reclocking with nouveau works out of the box on 4.15 kernel with "echo 0f > /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/pstate" and everything feels fluid and snappy thanks to compiz.
    You don't need to settle with U16, there is Ubuntu Unity distro, that slaps Unity 7 over official Ubuntu. I am using it right now.

Leave a comment:

• Schmellow
    replied
    Originally posted by openminded View Post

Is it me or there's something terribly wrong with fonts in GTK4 apps? They look awful on FHD displays. No matter if app is flatpak or not, some parts are just blurry as hell. Take Extensions, for example. Fedora, Ubuntu.
    It's a moderately well known issue/notabug/feature of gtk4 font rendering (https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-/issues/3787)

There is a workaround (https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-...7#note_1280247) and Fedora may include it F36 (https://pagure.io/fedora-workstation/issue/295)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X