Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

openSUSE Tumbleweed Gets First D-Installer Public Experimental Release

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • openSUSE Tumbleweed Gets First D-Installer Public Experimental Release

    Phoronix: openSUSE Tumbleweed Gets First D-Installer Public Experimental Release

    Earlier this year was news of (open)SUSE developing "D-Installer" as a new web-based distro installer. D-Installer is to complement YaST's existing Qt/CLI installer front-ends and would open up Web UI support, a better UI, and enhanced integration via the D-Bus installer service. The first public release of openSUSE with this new installer is now available for testing...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...staller-Public

  • #2
    Awkward naming. "D-Installer", when pronounced, reads awfully close to "deinstaller", which sounds like it is a software to delete an OS rather than install it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ultimA View Post
      Awkward naming. "D-Installer", when pronounced, reads awfully close to "deinstaller", which sounds like it is a software to delete an OS rather than install it.
      In reality, nobody cares about the name of the installation program of a distribution, most users don't know it and it is of little importance to know it, the name is mostly for developers to distinguish it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Software for Installing the D.

        Originally posted by ultimA View Post
        Awkward naming. "D-Installer", when pronounced, reads awfully close to "deinstaller", which sounds like it is a software to delete an OS rather than install it.
        That'd also be giving us the D.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          That'd also be giving us the D.
          They're giving us the D and they take no L!

          Comment


          • #6
            Can anyone explain to me what a web installer is? Is it an installer that runs in a browser? Or simply an installer that pulls packages from the web as needed?

            Comment


            • #7
              You could Login to remote with a Webrowser to this Installer.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                Can anyone explain to me what a web installer is? Is it an installer that runs in a browser? Or simply an installer that pulls packages from the web as needed?
                Generically, "web installer" means all of the above and you have to read the fine print to determine the kind of web installer.

                In this case it's basically a stand-alone GUI utilizing YAST and D-BUS to configure, download, and install the OS.

                Instead of shipping an entire OS with the installer media SUSE can ship a stripped-down runtime good enough to run D-Installer.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

                  Generically, "web installer" means all of the above and you have to read the fine print to determine the kind of web installer.

                  In this case it's basically a stand-alone GUI utilizing YAST and D-BUS to configure, download, and install the OS.

                  Instead of shipping an entire OS with the installer media SUSE can ship a stripped-down runtime good enough to run D-Installer.
                  Thank you.

                  I imagine most people would rather have most packages downloaded already, but it's possible some won't. Fwiw, I like what Windows did with updates, allowing you to get them from other local machines that already completed the download. I think that would be a nice addition to this installer.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X