Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Mint Debian Edition 5 Released - Built Atop Debian 11

Phoronix: Linux Mint Debian Edition 5 Released - Built Atop Debian 11

The Linux Mint crew have today released Linux Mint Debian Edition 5 (LMDE5). This is the effort carried out as a safeguard should Linux Mint in the future determine it unsuitable to continue basing their flagship distribution atop Ubuntu...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If it would've came by default with KDE Plasma or had an edition with it, I think it would've been the perfect distro!
    Cinnamon is really good, but not having Wayland support sucks a lot and besides that KDE has really powerful programs (Dolphin, Okular, Konsole, Krunner, KDE Connect).

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      If it would've came by default with KDE Plasma or had an edition with it, I think it would've been the perfect distro!
      Cinnamon is really good, but not having Wayland support sucks a lot and besides that KDE has really powerful programs (Dolphin, Okular, Konsole, Krunner, KDE Connect).
      Just use MX Linux KDE AHS. IMHO it's much better than LMDE

Comment

it'll be very ironic if Linux Mint would disappear before Ubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by Sunderland93 View Post

Just use MX Linux KDE AHS. IMHO it's much better than LMDE
          What makes you say that is much better than LMDE?
          As a quick look I see that it doesn't use systemd, (it's installed but not activated)
          I don't think I like that, I don't want to jump too much through hoops until the distro is ready to use.
          Systemd might not be perfect, but it solves a lot of problems in a clean way.

Comment

You could try standard Debian 11 / sid with KDE and non-free packages if you need them. That's what I use and it is a very pleasant experience, much much better than Neon or other distris based on Debian/*buntu, etc. with a supposedly Plasma desktop.

Then I don't know what Mint adds to the mix that you won't like to miss.

Comment

Why is every distribution supposed to have an edition for every single window manager and desktop environment? It's not like those programs don't exist in the repos and aren't a package install away. What's keeping you from installing KDE from the Ubuntu/Mint repos or even going hardcore and building it yourself with kdesrc-build?

IMHO, I'd recommend using kdesrc-build since that'll get you the most up-to-date KDE desktop you can have on Ubuntu/Mint/Debian (I'm assuming that U/M/D are still using older KDE builds when compared to other distributions like it used to be years past).

I see that sentiment a lot, especially during releases, and it makes me wonder those questions.

Comment

I agree that the KDE applications are the BEST. Kate for a text editor, Konsole for a terminal, Okular for an everything viewer, but I don't like Plasma, tried Plasma 5 a few years back and just didn't like it so I run the KDE applications on top of XFCE4 on most desktop computers I use. Has Plasma gotten any better?

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

I agree that the KDE applications are the BEST. Kate for a text editor, Konsole for a terminal, Okular for an everything viewer, but I don't like Plasma, tried Plasma 5 a few years back and just didn't like it so I run the KDE applications on top of XFCE4 on most desktop computers I use. Has Plasma gotten any better?
                  Depends. What didn't you like about it?

And you can always try it in a VM to see for yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Why is every distribution supposed to have an edition for every single window manager and desktop environment? It's not like those programs don't exist in the repos and aren't a package install away. What's keeping you from installing KDE from the Ubuntu/Mint repos or even going hardcore and building it yourself with kdesrc-build?

IMHO, I'd recommend using kdesrc-build since that'll get you the most up-to-date KDE desktop you can have on Ubuntu/Mint/Debian (I'm assuming that U/M/D are still using older KDE builds when compared to other distributions like it used to be years past).

I see that sentiment a lot, especially during releases, and it makes me wonder those questions.
                    Most people just use the defaults and do their own customization parting from there, so they end up choosing a particular distro that already has what they want (in this case a certain DE preinstalled). Also there is the fact that certain distros (particularly the smaller ones) tend to favor certain packages over others, like DEs, so people usually also flock to those distros that are "the best KDE distro" or "the best XFCE distro".

I myself am happy with Kubuntu and the backports ppa since it usually gives me a fairly up to date KDE. Shame about Canonical pushing snaps everywhere, as that will affect many if not all Ubuntu based distros.

Comment

Working...
                    X