Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Mint Debian Edition 5 Reaches Beta

Phoronix: Linux Mint Debian Edition 5 Reaches Beta

Linux Mint Debian Edition "LMDE" continues to be developed in the event that Linux Mint itself which is based on Ubuntu would have to shift its base over to upstream Debian. Out today is LMDE 5 Beta...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

LMDE is also one of our development targets, to guarantee the software we develop is compatible outside of Ubuntu.
    I don't think that statement's intent was to make me ROFL.

Comment

Better to bury Ubuntu

Comment

I'm not an Ubuntu fan, but since LMDE is part of the Mint family, which uses repositories from Canonical's servers every day, it's pathetic to read criticism of the distribution that Mint is a leech of.
        Stop criticizing and if you don't like Ubuntu create your own independent distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
          I'm not an Ubuntu fan, but since LMDE is part of the Mint family, which uses repositories from Canonical's servers every day, it's pathetic to read criticism of the distribution that Mint is a leech of.
          Stop criticizing and if you don't like Ubuntu create your own independent distribution.
          LMDE does not take over any repositories from Canonical's servers !!!

LMDE = Linux Mint Debian Edition

And if we don't like Ubuntu, we have the right to say so!!! If it's a problem for you, it's not a problem for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil995511 View Post
            LMDE does not take over any repositories from Canonical's servers !!!

LMDE = Linux Mint Debian Edition

And if we don't like Ubuntu, we have the right to say so!!! If it's a problem for you, it's not a problem for us.
            You didn't understand anything I wrote.
            You, me, we are free to say and criticize anything we don't like, I was referring to the Mint team.
            As I specified LMDE is part of the Mint family which draws like a leech from Ubuntu, I know very well that LMDE is based on Debian and knowing them it will not be long that they will start criticizing Debian too, but at the moment Mint (based on Ubuntu) is still the main distribution for them.

Comment

This suggests that the release of LMDE 5 will take place towards the end of March 2022, something like 7 months after the release of Debian 11, after almost 1/3 of the usual life cycle of Debian 11. Indeed the updates regular updates of Debian 11 will end in summer 2023 when Debian 12 is released.

So less than a year and a half after its release, LMDE 5 will no longer be updated regularly via the Debian servers ;-( It will once again be necessary to wait 7 months, at least, without being really patched, to obtain the new LMDE 6 which will only be patched again for a little less than a year 1/2...

Mint developers should really make an effort to release new versions of LMDE almost at the same time as the release of new versions of Debian, otherwise it does not make LDME very interesting to use due to lack of of updates after one year and 5 months of use

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
                Only if you don't want any Phoronix hate lol. I mean: every new distro on here gets beaten to death by Phoronix members because there are supposedly too many.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Only if you don't want any Phoronix hate lol. I mean: every new distro on here gets beaten to death by Phoronix members because there are supposedly too many.
                  This phrase was directed not at anyone on the forum, but at the Mint team, who are often hostile towards Ubuntu.
                  If it had been directed to some forum user, I would have quoted it.
                  Maybe the sentence is a little too strong, it may be ... but it was just my opinion, I have not insulted anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

FWIW, I applaud Mint. They de-suck Ubuntu and try their best to offer a desktop that regular people feel comfortable using. I'd probably be a Cinnamon, not Mint, but Cinnamon, user if I didn't use the excuse of GNOME 3 hitting Debian Testing to distro hop and explore the greater Linux world.

None of that changes that I find that development target statement very funny.

I wouldn't call Mint or LMDE new. They've been at it for almost a decade and a half.

Comment

Working...
                    X