Levente Polyak Re-Elected Arch Linux Project Leader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Very very shaky legal ground. Oracel would and should sue the hell out of them.

There are anyways better, more reliable, linux native file systems available right in the kernel
    Indeed. There's ext...I mean xf...um...btrf...oh...f2f...nevermind. None of those are as good as ZFS.

Comment

Drop support for older x86-64 CPUs and compile software with more modern optimizations.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Very very shaky legal ground. Oracel would and should sue the hell out of them.

There are anyways better, more reliable, linux native file systems available right in the kernel
        I'd enjoy seeing them sue Ubuntu for using it. No American court will side with Oracle on the argument of "you can't use my open source project with your open source project even though you're following all the licenses to the letter and keep the projects as separate as possible". Plus, if you follow the links you'll see that ZoL is developed at an American government funded nuclear research facility...to me that says that America has a vested interest in ZFS on Linux and OpenZFS and will want the courts to side against Oracle. Heck, they probably don't even have to go into the licensing jargon since the Ubuntu lawyers could just talk about how they are patriots that are defending American ideas and values. Flags and eagles is a very convincing argument in America.

In regards to the file systems in the kernel, the best they can do to compete with ZFS is to be treated as advanced format LVM volumes for their niche features. Use LVM on the bottom and then use file systems for specific features, situations, and directories. Like a BTRFS or bcachefs volume to use compression, an Ext4 volume to handle per-directory encryption and Wine case sensitivity, an XFS volume for lots of small documents and music, JFS for some databases...

Or just use ZFS with the right features enabled as the situation and directory require. Because I can't even replicate my very simple gaming storage setup with LVM and Linux file systems. And it is simple. LZ4 compression and case sensitivity for Linux games (and Steam/game platforms), LZ4 and case insensitivity for Windows games (and Steam/game platforms/Wine/Proton prefixes), zstd-19 for roms and iso storage.

That sounds simple enough until you realize that only bcachefs supports LZ4 compression; only it is stated that it can have issues with high Zstd levels (that's on the bcachefs main page). That means bcachefs is out for my setup. So my compression scheme isn't Linux-ready...and could only be Linux ready once another out of tree file system is added to mainline.

Linux doesn't have a file system that offers compression and case sensitivity options. With Linux I end up with one of those proverbial "pick one because you don't get both" situations. ZFS does offer both so I get to have my cake and eat it too...which I have to point out is such a stupid phrase...unless I've been mistaken my entire life, the point of having cake is to eat it...

Nothing on Linux-native comes close to the power of ZFS. Bcachefs has the most potential to take ZFS on. Because of that I can't wait for the kernel to pick up bcachefs.

Comment

Need Arch without systemd

Comment

Pretty much every other FS out there is a toy FS compared to ZFS... so go ahead use BTRFS if you want your raid arrays to corrupt (well might have been fixed but thats been the case for long enough that I'd still bet it is the case). While on the other hand you can't get much more robust than ZFS is.... it might be a little slower but its extremely robust.

Legally it breaks down to as long as OpenZFS and GPL software are distributed as separate pieces of software within a collective work (the distribution) their license differences are irrelevant. Their licenses would only conflict if they were distributed as a single piece of software. There are also some claims that the GPL makes about such things that aren't legally possible to uphold in the US or Europe and pretty much every other country copies one of those two.

What you could not do however is distribute OpenZFS under the GPL in the same archive or binary... because you can't relicense it.... but as long as you don't even try to combine them into a single work you aren't violating either license.
            Last edited by cb88; 24 February 2022, 11:31 AM.

Comment

What do you hope to see out of Arch Linux over the next two years?
              get rid gstreamer

Comment

Originally posted by sl1pkn07 View Post
                get rid gstreamer
                That's not a distro-level issue. That is for application devs to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

That's not a distro-level issue. That is for application devs to worry about.
                  refuse support it from the distro-level imo is a good start point

Comment

it's not.

Comment

WTF is wrong with you?

Comment

Working...
                      X