No announcement yet.

Linux Now Faster Than Windows 11 For Intel Core i9 12900K With Latest Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Now Faster Than Windows 11 For Intel Core i9 12900K With Latest Kernel

Phoronix: Linux Now Faster Than Windows 11 For Intel Core i9 12900K With Latest Kernel

Back in November when Intel's 12th Gen Core "Alder Lake" processors first launched I ran benchmarks across operating systems and found Windows 11 delivering better performance than Linux with the Core i9 12900K flagship processor. Fortunately, thanks to kernel improvements since Linux 5.16, that is largely no longer the case. Here is a fresh look at the i9-12900K performance under Ubuntu 22.04 daily with Linux 5.16 and 5.17-rc3 kernels tested as well and Clear Linux for Intel's very own reference Linux platform.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So all ADL needed was a turbo boost fix?

Comment

Wow, Ubuntu 22.04 definitely sucks for using such an old kernel by default for the time when it will be released!
      And thinking that is also full of snap crap it will probably be very hard to find a distro slower than that.

Comment

thats very good news...linux is king of the hill.

and i would not buy intel but the 12900K cpu is nice it is faster according to the overall average of phoronix.com benchmarks than the 5950X... but still i would buy the amd cpu because of ECC ram support and cheaper mainboards..

yes i know if you use DDR5 you could claim it is ECC ram but compared to unbuffered DDR4 ECC ram it is not the same-
        Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Windows has MAC (Mandatory Access Control) since Vista and Linuxe doesn't. Maybe that's the reason it's slower?

SELinux or Apparmor is also slower than normal or than without it.

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post
            Windows has MAC (Mandatory Access Control) since Vista and Linuxe doesn't. Maybe that's the reason it's slower?
            It seems you have no clue what you just said. SELinux is MAC.

Comment

everyones already knew Linux > win$slow$

// probably the dollars signs slowing it down

Linux: all your performances are belong to us.

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

SELinux or Apparmor is also slower than normal or than without it.
                I was coding MAC Linux Security Modules in 2003, and I wasn't even close to being the first one to do it. Try harder next time.

Comment

Good ol' Phoronix comments section: full of people who can't WAIT to prove how much smarter they are than you by whilst being a total prick.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

It seems you have no clue what you just said. SELinux is MAC.
                    Windows has too. But SELinux has much more complex .

So maybe should bechmarked Windows vs linux with selinux implemented - it would be fair
                    Last edited by HEL88; 10 February 2022, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X